[SOLVED] Cannot access BIOS after new water cooling system installed ?

Mar 27, 2021
Yesterday, I assembled a new pc, had a successful boot, uploaded the operating system, and then went to bed. Today I realized the Coolermaster heatsink was too large for the pc case. I returned the heatsink and got the NZXT Kraken M22 Liquid CPU Cooler. I also picked up three more fans (6 fans in total). I swapped out the CPU cooler and added the fans, and now the computer will not allow me to go into BIOS. There are no error lights on the motherboard, and the boot is successful.

However, the American Megatrends screen displays, claiming, "NEW CPU INSTALLED! PLEASE ENTER SETUP TO CONFIGURE YOUR SYSTEM USB DEVICE OVER CURRENT STATUS DETECTED SYSTEM WILL SHUT DOWN AFTER 15 SECONDS" or "PLEASE ENTER BIOS TO RECOVER SETTINGS" I have tried everything to enter BIOS. I have reset the mobo using both the battery method and the CMOS "shortcut."

• I have tried three different keyboards.
  • I have taken the mobo out and reinstalled everything.
  • I have removed the new fans.
  • I have tried booting without the boot drive and the SSD plugged in.
  • I have tried just the SSD plugged in and all the combinations.
  • I have even tried running a different SSD with an operating system already installed.

The only thing I have not done is removed the CPU cooler. This is not my first computer build. I have a passion for IT and have worked in the IT field. I am genuinely stumped. Could this be a faulty mobo or faulty CPU cooler? PC part picker has said that everything is compatible. Below are the listed pc specs.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KVtq8J

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken M22 Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z490-A ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Inland 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GT 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

-Deadlymouse 223

Solution
I replaced the motherboard with a GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS ELITE AC ATX and the computer booted properally with no more issues.
I am guessing that there may have been something wrong with the CPU socket or the physical install of the CPU for some reason didn't sit right. How tight was the CPU cooler attached to the motherboard / CPU? You could have also potentially ESDed some parts on the motherboard close to the CPU socket when installing the new cooler. The error message you were getting indicated an issue with the motherboard recognizing the CPU. Either way good job getting it working. Time to return the other motherboard.

Ralston18

Titan
Just as a matter of elimination (based on your efforts to date) it does appear that the issue may indeed be the CPU cooler.

The problems began with the cooler's installation and will likely (hopefully) end with the cooler being replaced.

You can still make an additional attempt to reinstall the cooler one more time and watch for some problem or issue while reinstalling.

Troublesome and problematic yet seems that it all comes down to doing just that.

I replaced the motherboard with a GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS ELITE AC ATX and the computer booted properally with no more issues.
I am guessing that there may have been something wrong with the CPU socket or the physical install of the CPU for some reason didn't sit right. How tight was the CPU cooler attached to the motherboard / CPU? You could have also potentially ESDed some parts on the motherboard close to the CPU socket when installing the new cooler. The error message you were getting indicated an issue with the motherboard recognizing the CPU. Either way good job getting it working. Time to return the other motherboard.

Solution
Mar 27, 2021
I think the motherboard cpu socket was defective. I removed the cpu cooler and the pc still didn't boot. The good thing about microcenter is they took the defective board back and I was able to swap to a new board.

TRENDING THREADS