Question Cannot access BIOS on old motherboard

Kokufuu

Commendable
Jan 14, 2021
I have an old motherboard, a Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV (rev. 2.1) which I would like to use now but not able to access the BIOS and it won't boot from USB.

I have got the following screen and nothing else. It does not respond for the keyboard but the keyboard backlights are on.
H9zBa6L.jpg

What I have tried so far:
  • Put the keyboard into USB port and PS2 port as well
  • CMOS reset with battery taken out
  • Replacing the battery with a new one
  • Reset with jumper
  • Tried to boot from USB with UEFI Windows
  • Tried to boot from USB with Legacy Windows
However ONCE I was able to get into the BIOS but could not reproduce it.
I was doing a battery reset and after power on I got the same screen but about a minute later it when to a blue screen (unfortunately don't have a pic of that) which said something like:
Bf9WdEq.png

I have entered the BIOS and checked if USB were enabled (it was) and set up the boot order to start with the USB.
However I was stupid enough and did not check 'Secure boot' and 'Legacy boot' states.
Now I can't even do a proper reset, please help!

I would really appreciate any help or suggestion!
Thanks in advance!

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
Remove cmos batery, do the jumper reset and wait 30 min, reset jumper again and install batery. Remember to unplug pc before. It should reset to default settings. How many ram's do you have installed. Try with only 1. Just for information, list your full system specs with psu, make and model

Kokufuu

Commendable
Jan 14, 2021
Remove cmos batery, do the jumper reset and wait 30 min, reset jumper again and install batery. Remember to unplug pc before. It should reset to default settings. How many ram's do you have installed. Try with only 1. Just for information, list your full system specs with psu, make and model

System specs:
  • Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV Rev. 2.1
  • Intel Pentium G870
  • 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ Corsair
  • 450W Corsair CX450
Still could not get into BIOS... :(

Also what could cause that the keyboard is not responding?

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Gigabyte/GA-H61M-S2PV(rev._2.1).html

Cpu is supported by mobo. Barebone the system outside the case. Remove the cpu carefully and check socket for bent bins. Might be the cause. Oh, and get little bit thermal paste as when you remove cpu, need to repaste it.

Not working keyboard can be a faulty keyboard or faulty mobo.

Do you have a diffrent psu you can use or borrow from a friend? And maybe a ram module aswell. Do you have a gpu?

Kokufuu

Commendable
Jan 14, 2021
https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Gigabyte/GA-H61M-S2PV(rev._2.1).html

Cpu is supported by mobo. Barebone the system outside the case. Remove the cpu carefully and check socket for bent bins. Might be the cause. Oh, and get little bit thermal paste as when you remove cpu, need to repaste it.

Not working keyboard can be a faulty keyboard or faulty mobo.

Do you have a diffrent psu you can use or borrow from a friend? And maybe a ram module aswell. Do you have a gpu?

PSU is working properly for sure, have been moved out from my other rig which was improved. Keyboard isn't faulty for sure either.
I couldn't test the RAM as it is DDR3 and I have DDR4s in the other one.
I have added a GTX 1060 6GB to it, I had picture through that.

I shot some close ups from the pins but they seem okay.
aMCdNZK.jpg

Will try to clean and repaste it.

Kokufuu

Commendable
Jan 14, 2021
Check again, top left corner is one pin out of place. Gently and very carefully reposition pin to correct position. That pin may be the root cause of the problem

I have tried my best to correct it, I think I was able to.
However still the same. :(

I have been struggling with this for almost a week now, I thinking of letting it go...
Probably will buy a similar, cheap, used motherboard so I can still use the RAM and the CPU.

TRENDING THREADS