[SOLVED] Cannot access BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 8, 2019
Hi all,

After finishing my build and turn the PC on, my screen stays black and I can't access BIOS, here are the components:

Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X
RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8GB 3200Mhz CL16
SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB
GPU: Asus Dual RX580 4GB

My monitor is very old (Philips LED 221EL), and it has an adapter from VGA to DisplayPort plugged into GPU, but I think that is not the problem, as it works well when I use my old HDD with Arch Linux installed.

Solution
DP to VGA? That could be a problem, usually you need an active adapter, and make sure that it's being powered by USB for example.
I'd try a different cable or adapter.

DP to VGA is a analog to digital output so some adapters don't always work.
Sep 8, 2019
Please see and follow every step in this guide thoroughly without skipping steps (even if you have already done some of these steps):
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

The 2600X does not have integrated graphics :)

Thanks for your response, removed CMOS battery for 10 mins, removed 2 extra standoffs that I installed and double checked the remaining steps, still nothing.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the led of mi monitor blinks when I press F2 and DEL while showing the black screen.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Have you tried a different display cable? Monitor?
Is there a signal and a black screen or black screen due to no signal? (the monitor will usually state "no signal" and go to sleep" if there is no signal.)

Following that I would also remove all but 1 stick of RAM and retest, then try each RAM module in each slot just to see if it yields any different results.
Do you have a motherboard speaker?
Are any Debug LEDs alight on the MB?
Any other unusual behaviour or does it simply power up but no picture is ever displayed?

Reactions: notapsu
Sep 8, 2019
I can't buy a new monitor right now, the connector is VGA to VGA, and the adapter is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017Q8OCSY

And yeah, monitor seems to fall asleep because no signal when no disks or when just the SSD is installed, but it's indeed strange that it works with my HDD plugged that has Arch Linux, even if it takes a lot to show something in screen.

No speaker, leds only the one on the GPU, and no other unusual behaviour AFAIK. One RAM slot tested, still nothing.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
DP to VGA? That could be a problem, usually you need an active adapter, and make sure that it's being powered by USB for example.
I'd try a different cable or adapter.

DP to VGA is a analog to digital output so some adapters don't always work.

Solution
Sep 8, 2019
Ok thanks, maybe on Black Friday will get a new monitor, so no point to buy another adapter, still, it is strange that my current monitor does not show the ASRock logo or the BIOS at some point, but works with a preinstalled OS.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ok thanks, maybe on Black Friday will get a new monitor, so no point to buy another adapter, still, it is strange that my current monitor does not show the ASRock logo or the BIOS at some point, but works with a preinstalled OS.
Apologies, I didn't notice the element where you say it works fine with an old HDD?
So quite literally if you put the HDD into your PC, it works normally?

Sep 8, 2019
Yes, that HDD was in my old PC, it takes like 30 - 40 seconds in showing something in screen but works, unlike if I install only the SSD, but here is the list that shows that the SSD is installed (just in case):

~ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 232.9G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 30G 0 part /
├─sda2 8:2 0 2G 0 part [SWAP]
└─sda3 8:3 0 200.8G 0 part /home
sdb 8:16 0 465.8G 0 disk

I just want to make sure that the problem is my old monitor and not a bad build or defective components.

Status
Not open for further replies.