Question Cannot access NAS partitions

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is an update to my post over on Win7 forum. I upgraded the one maching to Win10 from Win7. I cannot see or access partitions on NAS drives. Only see windows 10 generic folders (Music, Pictures, Videos, Albums, etc.)

Any troubleshooting/diagnosis that has already been performed: Reloaded configuration file. Rebooted router. Have made NO changes to any settings in Netgear D2200D-1FRNAS; unplugged router, waiter 30 seconds, plugged back in; checked cables. On third router in 4 years. File explorer used to show all NAS devices under Computer. Now only shows The computer I'm using. One NAS has second device connected via USB but now cannot access.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Traditore - Since my first NAS device of several years ago, as in 2010, I have always seen the NAS under the "Computer" section of Windows / File Explorer. Up until this past March or so, I always saw the partitions set by the manufaturer, e.g., Time Machine, Smartware, Public. Now I don't. Nothing has changed on my end. Once I get a component working, I leave it alone and don't change any of the settings. The IP address for one NAS shows up under "Computer" but trying to access it results in a time-out error. Win Diagnostocs says:

The device or resource (192.168.###.##) is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)".
Contact your network administratorCompleted
The computer or device you are trying to reach is available, but it doesn’t support what you’re trying to do. This might be a configuration issue or a limitation of the device.

Not a single setting has been changed since the device was first installed.

Last edited:

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
USAFRet: The last I looked, SMB 1.0 was enabled across the board. Network Discovery was turned on. File & Folder Sharing was turned on. I upgraded my one unit from Win7 to Win10 thinking MS had intentionally borked Win7 and it had no effect.
You're little pic is why I need to get access to these puppies.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, they're acting up again. Neither WD NAS will "accept the connection", with or without Norton 360 enabled. the Seagate is again saying the folders are empty AND I can't log in via its IP. Maybe I should yank out the four HDDs and drop them into a Synology DS218j diskless NAS. I'm sure as anything not going to get any help from my ISP (Frontier Telecomm - Where tin cans and string are state of the art) or Netgear (their support won't even admit the device exists; one is told to contact the ISP).

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is an update to my post over on Win7 forum. I upgraded the one maching to Win10 from Win7. I cannot see or access partitions on NAS drives. Only see windows 10 generic folders (Music, Pictures, Videos, Albums, etc.)

Any troubleshooting/diagnosis that has already been performed: Reloaded configuration file. Rebooted router. Have made NO changes to any settings in Netgear D2200D-1FRNAS; unplugged router, waiter 30 seconds, plugged back in; checked cables. On third router in 4 years. File explorer used to show all NAS devices under Computer. Now only shows The computer I'm using. One NAS has second device connected via USB but now cannot access.
SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!
It was a simple setting in Windows. Opened Network Settings and went to Network Connections>Wireless Network Connection> Internet Protocol Version 4 > Properties > Advanced > Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. The default setting of Use DHCP is why none of my NAS drives were showing. Thank you Western Digital for calling me and walking me thru the steps.