Cannot access shared drive on Windows 10! tried all the fixes.

Socket7-84

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
Hi fella's

We have 2 desktop pc's at my office.

One running Windows 7
One running Windows 10 home.

Using Ethernet cable to modem/router (Plus net router)

All our files are on the older Windows 7 desktop drive.

What I have done for the last year of so has worked fine. I had set up a home group and enabled sharing of folders on the Win 7 desktop,

Then access the shared folders and drives on my Win 10 pc.

I had to restart the the router(internet) which i have done before many times which requires a restart of my PC to established a connection to the shared folders....

But this time I keep getting "Windows cannot access \\...." every time trying to access the shared folders.

I've tried all the trouble shooting i can find online...including all the sharing settings, the starting of services...

It's getting on my t..ts now!

I can even remote access the Win 7 machine but cannot access the folders....the win 7 pc can access my shared folders on my pc but not the other way round...I seem to be access Media Devices also.

de3fi0.png

Please help :??:

To make your life easier: Use same user name, password on both computers. On the computer holding the network share, make sure you give rights thru "Advanced Sharing" properties tab to the user of remote computer.

Try accessing the other computer by IP address instead of by name. Your second screenshot indicates DNS problems, check whether your router supports WINS server role, and enable it.

Socket7-84

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017

How comes it's worked all the time and all of a sudden now? can't find that setting on the router but this is disabled "Enable Dynamic DNS Service" ??

The win 7 PC did have 3 updates before this started could this a route to look down?

Socket7-84

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
Think it was an updates fault! https://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/all/2019/01/09/windows_7_network_broken/