Cannot activate a new build.

ineuw

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015
Purchased a GIGABYTE GA-B250-HD3 MB with an Intel Pentium Processor G4560, and a Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Single DDR4 2400 (Gray). Assembled the system without any problems since this is not my first hardware assembly.

The power supply is a 500 Watt EVGA, purchased two years ago, and I assume that the connectors are up to date. Connected the 24 pin power supply, and 6 pins of the PCIE 8 (6+2) connection on the motherboard But the two on the left of the PCIE don't fit so I left it as is. I assume that the PCIE powers the CPU. Without this connection, the status light would not work.

On the first try, the MB CPU status light flashed red once, and then nothing. Disconnected the drives, removed the DDR4 memory, tried it and the same thing happened again. Removed the CPU itself and the same thing happened again.

I am not sure what these two leftover PCIE connectors from the PSU are. There are two sets of the PCIE connectors and they are identical. I assume that 2nd is for a PCIE Express video card which does not apply to me. Nevertheless I am unclear about the two empty sockets on the left, if they have any connection to the problem.Please see the attached images.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
As far as I know, the +2 on your power connector is keyed (as it were) were you have to hold them together to slide them into the socket. Trying to put them in separately may not work. I have seen some where the small would fit and then the big. You need them all.

ineuw

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015

Thanks for your quick reply. I assumed the same as well because when the male +2 is assembled with the male +6 there is a guide that aligns the two but the male +2 plugs are reversed. Where it should be square, the corners are trimmed and vice versa. It's clearly visible on the photos.

ineuw

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015

I've been scouring the web for the past six hours - reading articles on the subject and magnifying and closely examining images all over the place and so far I haven't found the answer. The previous mobo (ASUS) 32 bit only used the the +6, so I assumed the same is with this mobo.

ineuw

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015

Yes, I am coming to realize that. I wonder how many bought this power supply from EVGA for a recent mobo. I will send EVGA better photos, as well with a page from the mobo manual :) Much thanks for taking your time and walking me through this.