Cannot activate windows 7 to upgrade to windows 10

tddovahkiin

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
So, I've done and damaged my hard drive after getting heated in a little game i was playing. I had to get a new temporary hard drive, but had to install a non-genuine windows 7 on it to get it to work.

My plan was to originally upgrade from the non genuine windows 7 to windows 10, but immediately ran into problems.

Every time i tried to click on "Activate windows now", it would give me this message: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. I have searched on the internet for fixes, and many of them came up with a program called Slui.exe. but still gave me the same error message. Any help?

Solution
We are not going to assist with your pirated os.
Best option is a clean install of win 10 and run it unactivated till you buy a legitimate product key.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The "upgrade" period, officially, is long over.

Why wouldn't you activate your Windows 7 license though? If you still have the sticker accessible, you should be able to use it - and probably use the automated telephone service to activate it.

Beyond that, if you can't get either to activate, and can't upgrade to Windows 10, why not just clean install Windows 10?
Won't be activated, but nor would it be in the scenario you're describing. Then at least you'd have Windows 10 and could purchase a key to activate.