[SOLVED] Cannot activate Windows Vista with supplied key, error: 0x80072f8f

pointtopoint

Prominent
May 27, 2021
I have a second-hand PC that came with Vista. I've wiped the hard disk to make a fresh install. On attempting to activate this fresh install using the key supplied on the sticker on the machine, I get a message saying that activation failed 0x80072f8f.

I can see this is commonly a feature of the date and time being set wrong on the machine. I've synchronised them with an Internet server, and adjusted for daylight savings time. I still get the same result.

Is there a best method of making a fresh install of Vista on an old machine that can avoid this problem? Thanks.

Solution
I have a second-hand PC that came with Vista. I've wiped the hard disk to make a fresh install. On attempting to activate this fresh install using the key supplied on the sticker on the machine, I get a message saying that activation failed 0x80072f8f.

I can see this is commonly a feature of the date and time being set wrong on the machine. I've synchronised them with an Internet server, and adjusted for daylight savings time. I still get the same result.

Is there a best method of making a fresh install of Vista on an old machine that can avoid this problem? Thanks.
There is no magic.

Either the date/time is wrong, or possibly the seller has used that Vista license elsewhere.
The only entities that can fix this is the seller...

USAFRet

Titan

There is no magic.

Either the date/time is wrong, or possibly the seller has used that Vista license elsewhere.
The only entities that can fix this is the seller or Microsoft.

Solution