[SOLVED] cannot add M2 SSD to motherboard PC will not boot when i try.

Sep 29, 2020
Hello,

I have an MSI x470 gaming plus motherboard and am trying to add a WD Blue SN 550 1TB, however whenever i add it to the motherboard and boot up the PC there is no display. checked the SSD with another motherboard and it booted up with no problem. also tried on both M2 slots on the motherboard with no success any help would be appreciated as to what i can try next

Solution
thank you for replying.

it is an upgrade the system boots when the PCI-E SSD is removed, the processor is an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 it has never had a NVME drive installed. i have tried a CMOS reset and i updated BIOS.
What BIOS revision did you update to?

Turn system off and remove all SATA drives and any devices in PCIe slots excepting the GPU. Do a CMOS reset.
Now put the NVME drive in the first M.2 slot (closest to the CPU). You should now be able to boot into BIOS (spam the DEL key).
You should also be able to insert a USB with Windows 10 install and boot to the installation utility on that. Then do a fresh install of Windows 10 on the NVME drive. Once Windows is set up and running on the NVME re-connect the SATA drives to get...
Sep 29, 2020
Has the system ever worked or is this a new build?
What are the rest of the system specs?

Has the motherboard ever had an NVME drive installed?

Have you tried a CMOS reset?
thank you for replying.

it is an upgrade the system boots when the PCI-E SSD is removed, the processor is an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 it has never had a NVME drive installed. i have tried a CMOS reset and i updated BIOS.

thank you for replying.

Turn system off and remove all SATA drives and any devices in PCIe slots excepting the GPU. Do a CMOS reset.
Now put the NVME drive in the first M.2 slot (closest to the CPU). You should now be able to boot into BIOS (spam the DEL key).
You should also be able to insert a USB with Windows 10 install and boot to the installation utility on that. Then do a fresh install of Windows 10 on the NVME drive. Once Windows is set up and running on the NVME re-connect the SATA drives to get any data you need off them.

It's also possible to clone the OS from a SATA drive, but you'll need special software to do that. Follow the instructions you get with the software.

Solution
Sep 29, 2020

You should also be able to insert a USB with Windows 10 install and boot to the installation utility on that. Then do a fresh install of Windows 10 on the NVME drive. Once Windows is set up and running on the NVME re-connect the SATA drives to get any data you need off them.

It's also possible to clone the OS from a SATA drive, but you'll need special software to do that. Follow the instructions you get with the software.
I have not tried to boot into BIOS that may be what i am missing thank you. I will try that.

TRENDING THREADS