[SOLVED] Cannot attach file to Gmail while wired, but fine if wireless

spectra9

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
Hi everyone.
I'm having a bit of an odd problem.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro 1903, latest updates. I've recently changed my wireless router to the Tenda AC15 (AC1900). I have my 2 PC wired to the router and the router is wired to my ISP cable modem.

Everything mostly works fine, I'm getting the speed I'm expecting etc., but here's the strange thing: I cannot attach any file in Gmail or in Whatsapp web. Whenever I do, it just sits there showing progress as if it's uploading but it never finished, no matter if it's a 2KB file I'm attaching or a 2 MB one. This happen in both PCs. However, if I connect to the router via WiFi, the upload is almost instant, as expected.

I don't think it's a firewall problem, and more a router problem, but at this point, I'm at lost at what to check. Off course I can just use WiFi and be done with it, but then PC to PC file transfer suffers a lot. And, it just seems <<odd>> :p.

Please help. Thanks.

Best Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

spectra9

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
Both PCs using standard Windows Defender antivirus. Both PC can upload while connected wirelessly to the router, but both fail when wired. Also, it only fail on this specific operation. Browsing, downloading, speedtest, all work normally

spectra9

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
Alright, just did a few test and I need to revise my problem. With wired, I can still attach file to gmail, but it's super slow. Here's my recent test with speedtest:

DATE / TIME PING
ms
DOWNLOAD
Mbps
UPLOAD
Mbps
DISTANCE
mi

8/18/2019
9:46 PM
957.985.73< 50

8/18/2019
9:45 PM
930.164.40< 50

The first one is wired, second one is wireless. As expected, it's a bit slower with wireless. However when attaching file to gmail, I can see in task manager that my upload speed is fluctuating between 50Kbps - 200Kbps, most of the time it's below 100Kbps, a far cry from speedtest result. While in wireless mode it will reach 2.5Mbps immediately, sometimes even reaching 7Mbps.

I have the Asrock Taichi x470 mobo, the ethernet controller is shown as Intel I211 Gigabit network. I haven't checked the other PC but most definitely it's a different network adapter, not gigabit one since it's quite old, but yet exhibit the exact same behavior when wired

spectra9

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
Did you mean Google Drive? If yes, then the same experience as trying to attach a file in GMail, it works, just very very slowly as evident by the upload speed in task manager.

I'm using Intel driver downloaded from Asrock Taichi page. If I choose update driver in the network controller properties page, Windows will update the driver to a newer one, but it will have a more generic property page as opposed to the Asrock ones, which has several Intel customized tabs. Either way, the experience is the same, slow wired upload

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Did you mean Google Drive? If yes, then the same experience as trying to attach a file in GMail, it works, just very very slowly as evident by the upload speed in task manager.

I'm using Intel driver downloaded from Asrock Taichi page. If I choose update driver in the network controller properties page, Windows will update the driver to a newer one, but it will have a more generic property page as opposed to the Asrock ones, which has several Intel customized tabs. Either way, the experience is the same, slow wired upload
Yes, sorry. I meant Google Drive. I am stumped. Will check with the Mod Team for assistance.