Cannot boot in dual channel

Grunge

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Well, I just installed a dual core processor in my machine that was already running 4gb 400mhz RAM..of course windows was only detecting 3.25gb of it but that doesnt matter BIOS recorded correct amount...Anyway after installing the processor i received RAM errors...after taking all the sticks out but 1gb i rebooted and it booted correctly...I shutdown then put the rest back in and received the same error once again...I then took out just one of the sticks to see if the 3.25gb barrier may have had something to do with it but this did not help...i then put 1 gb in DIMM 1 and 1gb in DIMM 3 and it wouldnt boot...after this i put 1gb into both DIMM 1 and 2 making me not run dual channel...the system boots perfectly...now my question arises is how can i run dual channel and what is not letting me run dual channel...I really hope i dont have 2gb of useless RAM sitting on my desk right now...

System specs in sig

Thanks

Grunge

*EDIT* it may help to know that i am running windows vista ultimate...

Mondoman

Splendid
What exactly happened when "it wouldn't boot"?
Have you set all the RAM settings in the BIOS to "auto"? You can also try boosting the RAM voltage by 0.1 to 0.3V.

Grunge

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Well when i say it wouldnt boot, the errors came in the form of beeping and nothing on my screen. No evga screeen or anything. I have not done anything to my RAM in the BIOS but i could check to see if it is auto..i wouldnt see why it wouldnt be though, i dont change my RAM at all its not really not made for voltage adjustments and such from what i read. But i will check.

Mondoman

Splendid
Well when i say it wouldnt boot, the errors came in the form of beeping and nothing on my screen....
The beeping is normally a "beep code" that the MB uses to give you an idea of what is wrong. Your MB manual or manufacturer's website should have a list of the beep codes for your MB.

Grunge

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Yes it was a beep code..i have already checked that before posting here. My question is why am i receiving these errors when running in dual channel. All was well with my 3700 then i switched to my 4400 x2 and it wont let me boot when i have any RAM set in dual channel. I checked my BIOS and it says that my RAM is auto so there is no frequency errors and i dont mess with the voltages so i am clueless of what is causing this. Anything else i should check?

Mondoman

Splendid
Yes it was a beep code..i have already checked that before posting here.
It would certainly be appreciated if you would share with us what that code was. :)

My question is why am i receiving these errors when running in dual channel.
Reviewing your posts above, it seems you are also having problems when NOT in dual-channel mode (i.e. with 3x 1G sticks installed).

You didn't mention clearing the CMOS - I would try that first, ensuring that you first unplug the PS and remove the "coin" backup battery from the MB before clearing the CMOS.

If that doesn't help, I would remove your X2 4400 CPU and reinstall your 3700 CPU (remember, for socket 939, the memory controllers are in the CPU). If that works, it would suggest a problem with the X2 4400 CPU. In that case, you might want to consult tech support at the vendor who sold you the X2 4400.

Finally, what brand and model number PS do you have? With such a +12V-hungry graphics card, adding to the +12V load with an X2 4400 CPU could possibly be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Grunge

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
O, sorry i meant to type the error code but the meaning was No DRAM install or detected...O ya so i guess im not having trouble with only dual channel...actually when i put the 3 sticks in without dual channel my computer booted but froze before it got to the windows loadign screen..no beeping errors or anything to indicate an error besides the freezing. I have not cleared my CMOS yet i will try that and see..My PSU is a "XG Vortec 600W"

Also my machine was working with 4gb and the 3700 so it seems it may be more of a CMOS issue or maybe the PSU.

Thanks
Grunge

Grunge

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Well I cleared CMOS to no avail...still i get the beep of death (No DRAM installed or detected) whenever i have all 4gb in..also the same thing happens when i have 3gb in it just loads past the BIOS then freezes right before windows loading screen...somehow it seems more likely that my PSU is the culprit...As you can probably tell i would rather it be the PSU mainly because i have already waited a month just to get the 4400 after RMA mess and i have been eying a 1000 watt psu now i would have a reason to buy it :) lol but if anyone has any opinions plz tell them i would rather hear whats truth then what i want to hear.

Thanks
Grunge

*EDIT* i did some research on my psu and this is what i found. The Vortec has a gigantic 37 amps on the 12v rail, 36a on the 5v rail, and 34a on the 3.3v rail. If you want the full review here it is http://insanetek.com/content/view/218/27/1/2/

Also does a dual core processor take 2x the amps to run it? may be a dumb question but i need to ask it.

Mondoman

Splendid
Once you try swapping the 3700 back in, that will tell you if there's something wrong in a non-CPU component. If the 3700 works fine again with the 4GB, then it seems to me that either:
1) The x2 4400 was not properly installed.
2) The x2 4400 is not working correctly
3) Some difference between the x2 4400 and 3700 is causing a problem, perhaps the extra power draw of the x2 4400. From the AMD site, it seems that the thermal design power (max heat it puts out) is about 90w for the 3700 and 110w for the x2 4400.

I found some reviews and articles on your power supply, and it looks poorly made to me -- flashy looking, but a poor performer. No reputable PS maker tries to put 37A on a single +12V output, and the little-used +5V and +3.3V outputs are bumped up to 36A and 34A to increase the total wattage numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS is the issue. The best way I can think of for you to figure out if the PS is the problem is to leave the x2 4400 CPU installed, but remove the graphics card and plug in a lower-power graphics card instead. If the 4GB works fine then, that would suggest the PS is the problem. For a replacement PS, I'd suggest a good quality brand name, and something with 18-20A on each of at least 3 +12V rails. Something like these would work well:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817341002
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817371001

Grunge

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Ok, i will try the video card thing..would it also be possible to unplu gall 3 of my optical drives instead of doing a video card switch?

randomizer

Champion
And if you get it to work with the 3700 make sure you have the latest BIOS installed, as your mobo may not support the X2 without it.

@Mondoman, I have heard that some psu manufacturers do make high amperage single 12V rail psus that are high quality. Some people say these are good for power guzzling video cards. But I'm not that sure how good my sources are about this info (mainly coz I cant remember where I found this out).

@Grunge, As for an "XG" psu... never heard of them.

EDIT: Is that psu an MGE XG psu? If so then it is on tier 4 on the xtremesystems psu rankings.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

Grunge

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Ok, i will try the video card swapping when i get home..5500 PCI Woohoo! lol also yes it is a MGE XG..so yes it is a crappy PSU...well i will post back with the results on the video card swapping..BTW my BIOS would not be outdated if it can boot with 2gb of RAM and play games and such right?

Thanks

Grunge

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Well the results are disheartening...I tried it out and i still got the beep of death...but now this or something has spawned a new problem...I now cannot even boot with one gb of RAM in the computer. I get the beep no matter what...i really do not know what is wrong now...Could this possibly mean my PSU failed just as i had happened to install the 4400? or does this point to motherboard failure...or could this be a worsening condition of a defective processor.

Wow, all this just for installing a 4400...

Mondoman

Splendid
I had assumed that you had the latest BIOS version, but if you don't, definitely install it and then clear the CMOS again. The difference between a single-core and dual-core CPU (or older and newer CPU more generally) could be enough to cause strange problems if the BIOS doesn't "know" exactly how to deal with it. It might still boot, but have problems.

If that doesn't help, installing the 3700 again should help distinguish between a CPU problem and a motherboard problem.

Grunge

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Well i installed the 3700 and still got the beep..note that this was with 1gb of RAM in. So is this PSU or motherboard? Whatever it is the problem worsened. So both processors i get no dram installed or detected error. Would my crappy PSU just give out like that? or did something in my mobo go bad?

Mondoman

Splendid
Sounds like it could be either the MB or PS; cheap PSs can and do fail like that (and sometimes damage other components in the process), but your MB is also not a high-end MB. The cheapest route to go might be to buy a cheap PC power-supply tester from Radio Shack. You might also try contacting your MB maker's tech support.

Grunge

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
ok, im going to test it with my friends psu tonight if he can make it over...if not i may run up to radio shack real quick and get a psu tester. It just seems odd that i now cannot even run what i used to run. i even tried putting in 1 512 mb stick and it didnt work either. I think that it may either be psu or mobo or maybe a combination. I really hope that if it is the psu that it didnt damage other components my mobo doesnt cost too much so im not too concerned..but my other parts i really hope do not get damaged. I wonder what the chances are that it fried something ..im thinking about this way too much. I will post back whenever i try the new psu or test the psu i have. Thanks

Grunge

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Surprisingly enough its not the PSU. I tested this with my friends Antec PSU and I am receiving the same error. So i am asuming that this is a mobo problem. Would there be any reason that it is not? Also the beeps have changed to some odd beep that is not listed in the manual. Of course this would lead to a processor failure but the 3700 is doing the same thing. So im thinking mobo. Just let me know what you think.

Thanks
Grunge

randomizer

Champion
Just a small off-topic question: How is that audigy 4 soundcard? I was think of getting myself one. I assume you used it before the problem started.

As for the problem, mobo seems to be the culprit atm.

Grunge

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
I like it alot. Of course it is hooked up to a bose waveradio but it raises my framerate vs onboard audio. Also i dont detect static but some people do from what the reviews say on newegg.

Yes, i do believe it is the culprit..Do you think that my processor may now be bad too?

Grunge

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Ya, i am going to just RMA the processor back as well. I am going to buy a new mobo and im just going to take a precaution and just buy a good quality PS. This way i can start from scratch so to speak and eliminate alot of problems.

Thanks again.
Grunge