Cannot boot into Windows 10

MikeyD_33

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
So I have a slight problem. Recently, my hard drive started to fail, so naturally i bought a new one and cloned my old one onto it. After Acronis was done cloning it, it rebooted the computer into Windows 10 and I logged on, but something was wrong. The screens kept flashing on and off, and none of my apps were on my desktop. The only thing that was there was the taskbar with the windows button, which I couldn't press. So I restarted it, and that's when I couldn't boot up. The dell logo appears, and sometimes either disappears and comes back and spins forever, or a black screen comes up with just my mouse and nothing else. I figured it couldn't POST, so I gradually unplugged my graphics card (and used an internal one) and got to one of my sticks of RAM while restarting every time, when the blue startup repair screen for Windows came up. So I clicked the repair button, which failed, so I started it up in safe mode. After clicking start in safe mode, it just went black. No dell logo or anything. All that was on the screen was "Safe Mode" in all four corners, and my mouse which I could move in the center. I have never seen anything like this, so if anyone could help me, that would be extremely helpful. Also, I tried booting up with my old drive, but nothing.

Specs:
GTX 970
16 GB RAM
SanDisk 960 GB SSD
Dell monitor
intel i7 4790

Solution
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - I don't know if you need it but its a good boot disc

have you removed the disc you cloned? I think you meant to do that before restarting PC.

see what happens if you do this:
change boot order so USB is first, ssd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this PC, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

If there anything on drive you want to save, try this - might also help to see what partitions it sees on disc...

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - I don't know if you need it but its a good boot disc

have you removed the disc you cloned? I think you meant to do that before restarting PC.

see what happens if you do this:
change boot order so USB is first, ssd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this PC, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

If there anything on drive you want to save, try this - might also help to see what partitions it sees on disc: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

If you just cloned hdd, it either died completely or something went strange during the process, as it should work like normal.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS