[SOLVED] cannot boot windows 10

Sam14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013
hello
i recently tried to expand my C: drive using the stock partition manager and did but then when i restarted my pc ,windows couldnt boot it said it couldnt find an operating system or something like that so i plugged in a bootable usb and ran some cmd commands like bootrec fix boot and scanos but they didnt work and then i found out that the c drive is listed as NTFS i even tried to set the partition as active but nothing worked i am no expert so can you please help me :) thanks

Solution
What do you mean by "expand the C: drive"?

Do you mean you resized the partition? To what? Normally it should have already been as large as it could support if a proper Windows installation was done originally. Did you remove any partitions at ALL from the actual physical drive?

C: drive isn't actually a "drive". It is ONLY a partition with the drive letter C: designation. There are OTHER partitions, system based partitions, which are generally hidden from view in file explorer and similar utilities, but visible in partition managers. If you altered or removed ANY of them, then your Windows installation is likely borked.

As far as the partition type being NTFS, that's what it's SUPPOSED to be. It GREATLY PREFERS to be installed as...

Do you mean you resized the partition? To what? Normally it should have already been as large as it could support if a proper Windows installation was done originally. Did you remove any partitions at ALL from the actual physical drive?

C: drive isn't actually a "drive". It is ONLY a partition with the drive letter C: designation. There are OTHER partitions, system based partitions, which are generally hidden from view in file explorer and similar utilities, but visible in partition managers. If you altered or removed ANY of them, then your Windows installation is likely borked.

As far as the partition type being NTFS, that's what it's SUPPOSED to be. It GREATLY PREFERS to be installed as NTFS, although it CAN support FAT32. If you changed the file system type, then your Windows installation is likely borked.

Right now, based on "I did this and this, and changed this and this, and ran a variety of different commands", I'd say you need to start over from scratch with a new installation of Windows. Sure, it's POSSIBLE that you MIGHT be able to recover the installation but it will likely be an in depth process and still may not be successful depending on what you actually did. Not worth it time wise.

I assume you do have a backup image of your Windows installation saved somewhere? No? Well, now you know why you SHOULD always have one. With a backup image saved, it would literally take you like ten minutes to restore everything to exactly the way it was the last time you saved a backup image, whether that was ten minutes ago, or a week.

Solution

Sam14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013

As far as the partition type being NTFS, that's what it's SUPPOSED to be. It GREATLY PREFERS to be installed as NTFS, although it CAN support FAT32. If you changed the file system type, then your Windows installation is likely borked.

Right now, based on "I did this and this, and changed this and this, and ran a variety of different commands", I'd say you need to start over from scratch with a new installation of Windows. Sure, it's POSSIBLE that you MIGHT be able to recover the installation but it will likely be an in depth process and still may not be successful depending on what you actually did. Not worth it time wise.

I assume you do have a backup image of your Windows installation saved somewhere? No? Well, now you know why you SHOULD always have one. With a backup image saved, it would literally take you like ten minutes to restore everything to exactly the way it was the last time you saved a backup image, whether that was ten minutes ago, or a week.
yes inresized it it was only 150GB when D was 400 so i removed D allocated the free space to C till it becam 400 then re created D and i didnt change the filensystem type i thought it was supposed to be Fat32 but i didn't do anything else so is there a way other than reinstalling the os ?