• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

cannot boot with 2nd stick of ram **already enabled XMP in bios/set freq/timing manually**

tuesday0108

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Dear all,

I can't boot with the second stick of ram. The ram chips are fine because I tried booting them as 1 stick separately and it booted fine. I enabled XMP on my motherboard and it didn't, i also tried setting the frequency, voltage manually and it still won't boot with second stick of ram installed.

This is a new systems build. I've only tried dim slots 1 and 2. Never tried slots 3 and 4. Does anyone have any idea?

My specs are:
I5 6500 processor
Asus Z170k motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit.
Kingston Fury HyperX DDR 4 16gb (2x8 @2666MHz 15cL 1.2v)

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I believe that you are putting them in the wrong slots.

It needs to be odd slots or even slots for dual channel. So put the ram in slot 1 and 3 or slot 2 and 4 then try booting.
The slots should be color coded to make this even easier, just put the ram in the same color slots.