Question Cannot click on anything except icons on the desktop

Jan 26, 2020
Hello community.
Lately I am encountering this weird bug thanks to which I cannot click on anything that is not desktop. I can launch programs via their shortcuts but when I click on their working window the computer bypasses them and clicks on the desktop instead, graying out any open program. I cannot click on the taskbar nor the start menu. The keyboard works without any problem tho so I can execute commands win 3.1 style. I tried changing the mouse too but it wasn't the case.
Mind you, it doesn't happen all the time. First I thought it was caused by some service I turned off so I formatted my drive but the problem persists and I really have no idea why such behaviour exists.
I am running w10pro with advanced system care AV and these are my comp specs:
intel i7 4790k
nvidia geforce gtx960
asus z97p
You guys have any idea?
Thanks in advance!

Colif

Win 11 Master
on the login screen, click the power button in bottom right of screen
while holding shift, click restart button
this loads windows into advanced startup

I am taking you into safe mode
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

Does desktop work normally?

now if it does, it can mean one of 2 things, the problem is either a driver (which is odd) or its a startup program (which I would think is more likely)

Now to test the startup program theory, try setting PC up for a clean boot
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

If desktop is acting odd in safe mode, I will have to look further.

Jan 26, 2020
Thanks for your reply, I will run a thorough test as you have stated in a few days, for now I am away from my computer.

Thanks again and have a good day!

Jan 26, 2020
Hi Colif, I finally got back to my station and started the procedure you advised and I sadly found out that the problem persists even in safe mode.

I tried to deactivate all the services except the Microsoft ones via msconfig but it only made things worse (what once was a once in a while bug is now constant).

Also, device manager doesn't show any visible problem with the drivers.

Any idea what the problem might be? Do you suggest a clean install yet again?

on the login screen, click the power button in bottom right of screen
while holding shift, click restart button
this loads windows into advanced startup

I am taking you into safe mode
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

Does desktop work normally?

now if it does, it can mean one of 2 things, the problem is either a driver (which is odd) or its a startup program (which I would think is more likely)

Now to test the startup program theory, try setting PC up for a clean boot
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

If desktop is acting odd in safe mode, I will have to look further.

Jan 26, 2020
Yes, I've tried both but nothing changed. This morning I've ran a clean install and manually updated all the drivers one by one. There were some updates and I think the problem might have been them as until now I haven't encountered the bug yet. I don't know if that is the case, I will update this post if something changes for the worst.
Thank you again!

have you tried another mouse? if its happening in Safe mode, it excludes everything except windows... and that is an odd behaviour for windows.

Have you tried an AV scan?
Ues

Jan 26, 2020
Well here is a funny problem; the pointer doesn't behave correctly even in the windows installation screen.
I am doing yet another clean install and now I cannot click on anything. The pointer moves but I cannot click...
I am thinking I might have hardware problems. Can it be the bios? The motherboard? I really have no idea anymore. My powersub has some issues; when the computer is off but I leave the main switch on and attached to the power grid, if I turn on the computer without turning the main switch off and wait half a minute the computer doesn't boot. I can see the fans running but the lights won't switch on and the bios won't load.
I really don't know anymore

Jan 26, 2020
Well it seems I have solved the issue. After trying to figure out what hardware problem it might be I realized that unplugging and plugging the mouse gave it the ability to behave better and then it dawned on me that the grid I am plugging the computer is not grounded. I moved the case to another location and it has been two days since I am not having any issue.
I am fairly confident that this was the problem.
Thanks again for your help, Colif. Without your attention I might have shot myself in the head