Cannot complete network setup

Hello:

I have my sony desktop runnig on home edition which is
the wireless provider also through the netgear router.
Then I have Sony Laptop with windows professional which
gets its wireless connection through Netgear.

The wireless is working fine. I ran network setup wizard
on both the computers to share the files. On desktop,
after going through the process at the end it gives me
the message "cannot complete the network setup wizard" an
error occured during the setup...... However I can see
the laptop on my network but cannot open the shared
folder which gives me the message the "you might not have
the previledge to use this network resource"... On the
laptop I can easily acess the desktop shared folders and
all other shared files and also successfully run the
networksetup wizard.

Oh yes. I did change the laptop recently from windows xp
home edition to professional and it is after that this
has happened.

Help

Vikas

Does the guest account on your laptop have a password?

i somtimes encounter problems in a similar setup, where i cant map to drives
or access shares from a computer if the guest account has a password. it
dosent seem to matter wether it is enabled or disabled, just that it has a
password. entering the password when prompted didnt allow access. Just a
thought.

Also are the shared folders on the laptop still shared? perhaps the wizard
knocked them out or somthing?

Greetings Vikas,

Look at the Home Network Wizard log file for any irrelevant information
which may contain any problems that you encounter during the network setup.
The Home Network Wizard Log file is stored in the C:\WINDOWS directory named
nwz.log. There may be some useful information there. Keep in mind that even
though it tells you to run the Network Setup Wizard, it is never necessary
to run it because you can do it manually. Also, see the following MS KB
Article.

How to troubleshoot home networking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308007

_________________
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

"Vikas" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I have my sony desktop runnig on home edition which is
> the wireless provider also through the netgear router.
> Then I have Sony Laptop with windows professional which
> gets its wireless connection through Netgear.
>
> The wireless is working fine. I ran network setup wizard
> on both the computers to share the files. On desktop,
> after going through the process at the end it gives me
> the message "cannot complete the network setup wizard" an
> error occured during the setup...... However I can see
> the laptop on my network but cannot open the shared
> folder which gives me the message the "you might not have
> the previledge to use this network resource"... On the
> laptop I can easily acess the desktop shared folders and
> all other shared files and also successfully run the
> networksetup wizard.
>
> Oh yes. I did change the laptop recently from windows xp
> home edition to professional and it is after that this
> has happened.
>
> Help
>
> Vikas

>The Home Network Wizard Log file is stored in the C:\WINDOWS directory
>named nwz.log.

The Network Setup Log file is named nsw.log.

_________________

"Eric Cross [MVP]" <encross@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
> Greetings Vikas,
>
> Look at the Home Network Wizard log file for any irrelevant information
> which may contain any problems that you encounter during the network
> setup. The Home Network Wizard Log file is stored in the C:\WINDOWS
> directory named nwz.log. There may be some useful information there. Keep
> in mind that even though it tells you to run the Network Setup Wizard, it
> is never necessary to run it because you can do it manually. Also, see the
> following MS KB Article.
>
> How to troubleshoot home networking in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308007
>
> _________________
> Eric Cross
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>

> "Vikas" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hello:
>>
>> I have my sony desktop runnig on home edition which is
>> the wireless provider also through the netgear router.
>> Then I have Sony Laptop with windows professional which
>> gets its wireless connection through Netgear.
>>
>> The wireless is working fine. I ran network setup wizard
>> on both the computers to share the files. On desktop,
>> after going through the process at the end it gives me
>> the message "cannot complete the network setup wizard" an
>> error occured during the setup...... However I can see
>> the laptop on my network but cannot open the shared
>> folder which gives me the message the "you might not have
>> the previledge to use this network resource"... On the
>> laptop I can easily acess the desktop shared folders and
>> all other shared files and also successfully run the
>> networksetup wizard.
>>
>> Oh yes. I did change the laptop recently from windows xp
>> home edition to professional and it is after that this
>> has happened.
>>
>> Help
>>
>> Vikas

TRENDING THREADS