[SOLVED] Cannot connect the second router via the first

fim

Nov 13, 2019
I have 2 routers on my LAN, Linksys (R1) and TP-Link (R2). I also have 1 cable modem/router supplied by my ISP. All are on the same subnet 255.255.255.0

The connection is as follows;
- My ISP cable modem/router has an IP range of 192.168.0.1 – 192.168.0.xxx

- I have connected an Ethernet cable from the LAN port of the ISP Cable modem/router to the WAN port of the router R1. This router has an IP range of 192.168.1.1 which I use to DHCP to clients on the wireless network.

- I then connected an Ethernet from the LAN port of the router R1 to the WAN port of the router R2 and assigned a static IP of 192.168.1.20. The purpose is to connect other network devices to this router independent of the router R1 and yet be able to access R2, as well as connected devices via the primary (Linksys) Router.

- On the router R2, I assigned a LAN IP range of 10.0.0.1 – 10.0.0.xxx

- When I try to connect to the router R2 via IP 192.168.1.20, I do so successfully. However when I try to connect to IP 10.0.0.1 (web interface of the router), through the router R1, I cannot. Note that there are other devices with the 10.0.0.x IP address range connected to the router R2 and I cannot access these as well via the router R1.

- I have to use an Ethernet cable plugged into R1 but then this limits me to a particular location with my laptop.

Is there any mistake in the configuration/setup as i cannot access the first second router (R2) via the first (R1). I would like them to be interconnected but on independent ip addresses even though the subnets are the same. Please also note that i can ping my ISP Modem/router via my first router(R1) and vice versa.

Kindly assist. Thank you.

Solution
You can't because the devices you have are not actual "routers". They perform the simple function of translating a subnet on their lan interface to a single IP on their WAN interface. Just because they share the same subnet mask does not make them in the same subnet.

Because all the LAN ip share the same WAN IP the device does not know which internal ip to send the device to send the traffic to. This is the standard port forwading issue you see.

Not sure why you have them on different subnets it does not buy you anything really. It sorta does if your goal is to prevent communication. Your best option is to use the LAN ports on the secondary router and let the main router assign IP to everrthing. You need to disable the...
You can't because the devices you have are not actual "routers". They perform the simple function of translating a subnet on their lan interface to a single IP on their WAN interface. Just because they share the same subnet mask does not make them in the same subnet.

Because all the LAN ip share the same WAN IP the device does not know which internal ip to send the device to send the traffic to. This is the standard port forwading issue you see.

Not sure why you have them on different subnets it does not buy you anything really. It sorta does if your goal is to prevent communication. Your best option is to use the LAN ports on the secondary router and let the main router assign IP to everrthing. You need to disable the DHCP in the secondary routers and make sure you assign iP to the lan on those routers that are unused in the subnet of the main router.

I suppose you could buy actual routers but it is unclear why you want different ip subnets since a actual router allows them all to communicate pretty much as if they were on the same subnet.

Solution

fim

Nov 13, 2019

Not sure why you have them on different subnets it does not buy you anything really. It sorta does if your goal is to prevent communication. Your best option is to use the LAN ports on the secondary router and let the main router assign IP to everrthing. You need to disable the DHCP in the secondary routers and make sure you assign iP to the lan on those routers that are unused in the subnet of the main router.

I suppose you could buy actual routers but it is unclear why you want different ip subnets since a actual router allows them all to communicate pretty much as if they were on the same subnet.

Thank you will try you recommendation and revert.