Cannot connect to a network

akhan_87

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
Hi there,

Hope you can help. I'm trying to connect to the internet with my Windows Vista Laptop but there doesn't seem to be a network being found. Within the home , there are other laptops and devices which connect to the home router without any problems so I'm assuming the problem is with this device only. When I attempt to open the Network and Sharing center, it recognises the network (TalkTalk) as being there and connected although will not allow me to connect to it and has an X through the computer screen at the bottom (showing its not connected)
I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to get past this problem. For any further information needed, feel free to ask. Thanks in advance.
The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5520, AMD Athlon X2, Windows Vista.

Solution

Reboot the router not the laptop, and you need to forget the wifi network and re-connect.

The drivers you want to get directly from Acer. That is also an old laptop, you may have issues with security options which are not...

akhan_87

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
you'll have to bear with me as I'm not very good at this...Its supposed to be connected to TalkTalk which is the network within the home. this is supposed to be via a wireless router as the other devices within the home are.
I hope that answers your questions?

OK, I thought you may have been using a cell data modem. Check the vendor support site for a newer network driver, install it if there is an updated one. Go into the network options and set your connection to forget it, try re-connecting again. Rebooting the router is a good idea also, that can clear up many connection issues.

akhan_87

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
hi there,

apologies for the delay in replying...thanks for the help...What I have done is go 'Device Manager' and search the existing 'Network Adaptors' and allowing the computer to search for updated versions but it tells me I have the latest version. Following this, I uninstalled the existing adaptor hoping the computer will revert to a new network although this hasn't worked.

I have also tried to reboot the computer although this does not have any positive impact either.

thanks in advance for your help.

Reboot the router not the laptop, and you need to forget the wifi network and re-connect.

The drivers you want to get directly from Acer. That is also an old laptop, you may have issues with security options which are not compatible with that old chip, which a new driver may fix. If not, you can get an USB wireless network card to use.

Solution

akhan_87

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015

akhan_87

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
Hi there,

I have since taken the laptop to a local repair company who have fixed it. They have mentioned there were various issues with the laptop including malware and viruses found on the laptop amongst other things.

Thanks for your help.

TRENDING THREADS