[SOLVED] Cannot connect to internet with Ethernet cable via modem

Nov 23, 2019
I want to connect both my router and an Ethernet cable to my modem. I can only get a connection from one at a time and not both. If I get my Ethernet cable working, my router won't work and if my router is working, my Ethernet cable won't. I can get both working by plugging in my Ethernet cable to my router, but its not long enough for my setup. I have an Xfinity dual band wifi 802.11ac modem and a D-Link DIR-655 router.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
The general connection goes:
ISP->modem->router->devices.

The modem talks to one and only one device. Generally the router. The router then provides the connections and internal IP addresses for your devices.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
https://secure.xfinity.com/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/faqs/wireless_gateway/HOW5220_Wireless_Gateway_3_UserGuide_06_19_15.pdf

Yes I believe it is the same as this one just not labeled xfinity. My roommate had set it up and I didn't know enough about it to know we didn't need a second router. So I should be able to set up the wifi through the modem/router and just disconnect the D-Link router?
Yes. Take the D-Link out of the equation.

And you want to verify all the settings. WiFi SSID and password, admin username/password, etc, etc.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS