Question Cannot connect to WiFi

EssKayKay

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Hello,

Since recently upgrading my older HP Pavilion dv6t-6c00 laptop to Windows 10 from Win 7 my WiFi has stopped working.

The onboard network device is a Realtek model RTL8188CE 802.11bgn. Device Manager states the device is working properly and that the most current driver is installed. When I attempt to connect to a network (show available networks) numerous locations show up (neighbors). However, I do not see our network. I know ours is available because I have several other devices connected to it and all are working fine.

I did have this problem once before under Win7. I uninstalled the RTL8188CE device, rebooted, Win7 found the hardware, reinstalled the drivers, and all worked fine. I tried the same thing with Win10 but no luck. It found the hardware and installed the drivers but I still can’t logon to our network.

Now here’s where this gets a little convoluted so please bear with me. I’ll try to explain as best I can.

As a test, I installed a small USB WiFi adapter into the laptop; it found our network and connected perfectly. When I went to look at what network connections are available in addition to Dial-up and Ethernet, I saw two WiFi networks called Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi 2. Wi-Fi shows all the neighboring networks but not ours; Wi-Fi 2 shows our network. So, it looks like the onboard RTL8188CE device cannot locate the Wi-Fi 2 connection. When I unplug the USB WiFi adapter, Wi-Fi 2 connection disappears leaving only Wi-Fi connection.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve K.

EssKayKay

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

Thanks John for your quick response. You may be correct. But I can connect via the mini USB wireless WiFi adapter.

(https://www.ebay.com/itm/1340256486...TVPI0zH93S76Aa43wyfwAk8O50sM4fhwaAklREALw_wcB)

So the machine can see our network and connect to it just not via the onboard WiFi card. If I was to replace the onboard WiFi with some other newer adapter do you think this could resolve the issue?

Now to be honest, maybe I should just leave the small USB WiFi installed and call it a day. It just seems weird that I can only see one WiFi connection (i.e., “WiFi”) not the “WiFi 2” connection that houses our network with the onboard 8188CE card.

Thanks John for your quick response. You may be correct. But I can connect via the mini USB wireless WiFi adapter.

(https://www.ebay.com/itm/1340256486...TVPI0zH93S76Aa43wyfwAk8O50sM4fhwaAklREALw_wcB)

So the machine can see our network and connect to it just not via the onboard WiFi card. If I was to replace the onboard WiFi with some other newer adapter do you think this could resolve the issue?

Now to be honest, maybe I should just leave the small USB WiFi installed and call it a day. It just seems weird that I can only see one WiFi connection (i.e., “WiFi”) not the “WiFi 2” connection that houses our network with the onboard 8188CE card.
If you click on Settings, Network and Internet, Wifi, Manage Known Networks, are there any entries there and if so, can you use the Forget option to remove them? That might allow you to start over and establish a new connection with your network.

You could also consider a complete fresh install of windows 10 since your current setup is an upgrade of windows 7. But to be safe you should back up (image) your current working installation just in case a fresh install doesn't work. Or if the small usb wifi is adequate then you might be better off leaving well enough alone and going with that until you really need a change.

EssKayKay

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
If you click on Settings, Network and Internet, Wifi, Manage Known Networks, are there any entries there and if so, can you use the Forget option to remove them? That might allow you to start over and establish a new connection with your network.

You could also consider a complete fresh install of windows 10 since your current setup is an upgrade of windows 7. But to be safe you should back up (image) your current working installation just in case a fresh install doesn't work. Or if the small usb wifi is adequate then you might be better off leaving well enough alone and going with that until you really need a change.

No there are not any Managed Networks noted. I can add ones including our network. However, it still does not login.

I’m not going to do another Win10 install. I think you have it right. The mini USB WiFi works fine so I’m going to just stay with that.

Thanks for the input DWD,
Steve

Last edited:
Reactions: dwd999

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
It is clear your resident LT wireless is incompatible with W10. Your onboard device only supports 2.4G whereas the USB device supports 2.4 and 5G. If you run the diagnostic, it might give you a clue as to why your resident NIC doesn’t work. In any case, you have a USB device that does, so why not use it? And BTW, do some diligent research on the newest driver available for your NIC from the Realtek site, don’t rely on prior drivers or what Windows considers “working.”

EssKayKay

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
It is clear your resident LT wireless is incompatible with W10. Your onboard device only supports 2.4G whereas the USB device supports 2.4 and 5G. If you run the diagnostic, it might give you a clue as to why your resident NIC doesn’t work. In any case, you have a USB device that does, so why not use it? And BTW, do some diligent research on the newest driver available for your NIC from the Realtek site, don’t rely on prior drivers or what Windows considers “working.”
Yeah John I did look for other drivers on numerous sites all to no avail. Your probably right about the NIC not being W10 compliant. I'll just stick with the USB option.

Thanks again. . .