cannot copy large files from desktop to laptop

aserothbw

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
I've recently run into a strange issue that I cannot seem to get sorted out. When I try to copy large files from my desktop to my laptop, the copy function takes up to several minutes to discover the item(s) being copied. Eventually, it will start the copy process, but only around 15kbps, which usually ends up hanging. When I try to cancel the process, it will often cause explorer.exe to crash and restart after several minutes. This also happens if you manually end the process in the task manager. The odd thing about this issue, is that I can transfer large files from my laptop to my pc with no problem.

I've tried disabling the firewall and security essentials. Nothing that I can find seems to be bottlenecking the connection. The issue seems to have started when I got my new router, a D-link DIR-651 (hardware version A2, Firmware 1.11NA). The only out of place thing I have found, is that on my laptop, MsMpEng.exe (Antimalware Service Executable) is running when from what I have read, it shouldn't be. Thus far, I have been unable to stop the service (all options in services.msc are greyed out, even when run as admin).

Any input on this issue would be greatly appreciated, as I am running out of ideas on how to resolve this issue.

Solution
Looks like the issue has been resolved. Turns out there was an issue with the network adapter driver on my laptop. Apparently, despite coming up okay and working, the old driver was having some kind of error. Updating the driver to the newest version didn't work either until I did a full uninstall of the driver, then installed with the newest driver.

aserothbw

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

Nothing totally useful. I've had one or two 'The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR5', but according to comp management, that is my external hard drive, and it is healthy. normally, I'm copying files from one of my two hard drives in the desktop itself. It doesn't matter where the files are coming basically, they always run into the same issue.

aserothbw

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Looks like the issue has been resolved. Turns out there was an issue with the network adapter driver on my laptop. Apparently, despite coming up okay and working, the old driver was having some kind of error. Updating the driver to the newest version didn't work either until I did a full uninstall of the driver, then installed with the newest driver.

Solution