Cannot create string values in certain path?

Blisslen

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
I'm attempting to create a string value in my registry, specifically in this path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

and I'm unable to do it. I can create it, but as soon as I make it I cannot right click it to edit it's value, it just gives me an error, and when I refresh the view it's no longer there. I do have permissions for the folder, so I'm not sure why I can't.

Solution
I know you said it is not a rights issue but it sounds like a right issue. Type Regedit in a Search box and when it comes up don't press enter instead right click on it and chose Run As Administrator.

It could also be your Anti-Virus which is not allowing changes to this area because it could be a virus.

Not sure what to tell you because it works fine for me.

Blisslen

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013

Turns out the error (Cannot edit shell; error reading contents) only occurs when I name the string "shell".

If it helps; what I'm trying to do is in this reddit post:

JimF_35

Distinguished
I know you said it is not a rights issue but it sounds like a right issue. Type Regedit in a Search box and when it comes up don't press enter instead right click on it and chose Run As Administrator.

It could also be your Anti-Virus which is not allowing changes to this area because it could be a virus.

Not sure what to tell you because it works fine for me.

Solution
the operating system will have reserved words that you can not use. I would think shell might be one of them.

in previous versions of windows, all the device driver names that carried over from the older operating systems were "reserved" so you could not use them. IE names like CON, COM, PRT, AUX, . ,..
and they ignored file extensions so files like con.txt also can not be used.
in the old OS if you any file with these names would have its contents routed to the device driver when you tried to move them. so something like copy dog.txt con.txt would take the file dog.txt and copy it to the CON device driver (ignore the extension) and the file would be redirected to your screen.

I am not sure what the current reserved names in windows would be but I am sure their will be some.
(also, the file system may not block the reserved name but the app may block it, who knows)

Blisslen

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013

It was my Anti-Virus, thanks!

TRENDING THREADS