Cannot delete a Windows.old directory

winkywinky

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
In late 2012, when I first installed Windows 8, I had no problems, then I installed a free Media Player and my win 8, which I had purchased, would now not activate. After 8 hours on the phone with MS over a number of days, they solved the problem but now I am stuck with a Windows.old directory that I cannot get rid of because only a Trusted Installer can delete the files & sub-folders. I have played around with the security tab on the folders but do not know how to change them so I can delete and save my 14 gb on my SSD. Any assistance would be most welcome.
Thanks

winkywinky

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

Thank you for the feedback SR-71, however I have tried this and when I click on clean up system files, I do not get the Previous Windows installation(s) check box, so I must be missing something. Perhaps this Windows.old directory was placed there manually by the MS tech when they he was working on my computer. The MS tech at the time also said it would delete after 28 days however it has not. Recently I have played around with the Security Access so perhaps I have messed it up further.

winkywinky

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

Thank you again however I downloaded and installed unlocker and even rebooted and the unlocker does not show up when I right click on the directory. I am totally baffled by this. I went through the same process twice (downloaded etc)and still the unlock does not show up when I right click on the c: drive or on the windows.old directory. Perhaps I will just reinstall windows someday.

TRENDING THREADS