Cannot Delete, Access, Shred, Rename or Modify a folder as the Admin

StopherSylvia

Honorable
Jul 10, 2015
I am the Admin on my own personal computer with Windows 10 and there is a folder that has cemented itself in place and is harder to take down than the Berlin Wall.

I can't open it, rename it, delete it, or modify it.

I feel like this needs to be stated, obviously I AM THE ADMIN ON MY COMPUTER. also there are no other accounts, networks, groups, whatever you what to call it. I am the only one that uses this computer and it is at my home, not work. (Sorry if that seamed angry or rude, but after 3 hours of reading other peoples topics on other sites with the first 5 replies being equivalent to "Did you turn it off and back on?" I am a little irritated, and yes I tried that metaphorically and literally)

Now I will state what I have tired:

I've tried Shredding it with AVG, SlimCleaner, and Advanced System Care and they all end with the same result. They open their "shredder" program and it acts like there is no file there. I can select it for shredding but can't run the program because "I haven't selected a folder". After a little fiddling I got AVG to try to Shred it, but AVG says I don't have permission.

I googled and found several ways to try and get rid of it. I Noticed it is on "read-only". I thought to myself "I didn't change it to such and have used is many times before so this is new and probably the problem". So I tried to unselect read-only, access denied...ugh. I saw that I had to take ownership of the folder to do this. I have taken ownership of other folders to solve similar problems before.I went to Right-Click>Properties>Security and it says that I need read permissions to change the owner, I clicked advanced...access denied....

I assumed and then later read that this is possibly a malware problem. I scanned the folder with IObit Malware Fighter, AVG, and Advanced System Care. They all said "no threats where found". I scanned my whole computer with each one while I googled for other solutions.they found random unrelated issues and solved them figured I would try...access denied....

I read that a program that grants admin privileges can help. I used to have a similar program
so I figured I would give it a shot. Downloaded it and tried it, it gets stuck when I try the actual program, and right-clicking pulls up a CMD window that says one line and closes to fast for me to read it. I hoped that meant it worked...access denied...

I read that a program called Unlocker and fix this, I found that IObit makes there on unlocker. I Downloaded it and told it to unlock the folder. It said that folder is not locked. I tried using the program's force mode. "The folder is not locked" I am getting awful tried of my computer lying to me.

I tried getting the normal Unlocker program, installed it, avoided the crappy toolbar, found the program in my Program Files, and ran it. I opened it selected the folder I wanted, "The folder is not locked". I told it to delete it, it closed the program, at the end of my rope 10 mins ago I prayed that this worked. I went to the folder tried to delete it, could not delete folder. This was a different message than last time, so I tried to change it off of read-only, access denied, tried to change the owner, access denied, I tried to shred it, access denied, I tried running the CMD command that is something like attp -r +s C:\ or whatever it was, access denied, I tried opening it, access denied, I tried running Unlocker then IObit Unlocker then deleting it, access denied...Its a good thing that I am not a violent man, but God is testing me here.

Someone please help...

I sympathize with you.

But I must ask have you tried to delete or modify the folder in question outside of the windows environment running on the system.?

If the folder is in constant use for some reason by windows it`s self. then trying to modify or delete the folder will not work anyway, and why you are denied access to any function you try to perform on the folder.

One way is to create another Admin account via the first.
Then log out of the existing admin account.
And log into the newly created admin account if you wish to use windows.
Then simply delete the folder in question.
Since your not logged into the admin account tied to the folder it should delete.

There is the answer right there.

Safe mode of windows, and a command prompt.

Run the command prompt elevated, right click on CMD and run as an admin.

In the command prompt window type : del /? for a list of switches or command options.

Example of command structure to delete a file or folder via command prompt.

DEL /F /S /Q /A "C:\Users\UserName\Desktop\File.txt"

Let me know if it works for you.

And Merry Christmas by the way.

StopherSylvia

Honorable
Jul 10, 2015

Thanks for all the advice, but strangely enough I turned on my computer this morning and the files was gone.

The only thing I can think that would have done it was I decided to shut off my computer last night and give AVG, IObit Malware Fighter, and Advanced System Care another shot. I ran all three and told the slowest one to turn off my computer when finished. The weird thing is that I had already tried this before I made my post. I ran each one and restarted my computer after each on finished but it didn't work. For whatever reason it worked this time though.

and Merry Christmas to you, too.

TRENDING THREADS