Cannot delete downloaded grogram from desktop.

jimh

I recently downloaded a Service Pack from Compaq(HP) for
my old presario. Compaq SP's are an .exe which you run to
create a floppy, which, in this case is used to boot the
computer you wish to update. Floppy was created, disk was
removed, but now I cannot delete the program file from the
desktop of the Dell Dimension 8250, WindowsXP Home, used
to created the disk. I believe the program runs as DOS
and seemed to start, created files for the floppy, and
close, just as they had many times that I have used them,
but this is the first time that I have used this computer
to perform this act of artistry. Any suggestions?

JimH

Additional info for this problem: Error message reads
that the program is in use by another person or program
and to close off that use, first. I have tried to delete
from the desktop folder and use shift+delete , but no good.

Ras

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003

In a lot of cases you can do a Ctrl-Alt-Del to open Task Manager. Find the
offending app (under the Processes tab) and close it. Then you can delete
it.

<jimhaas@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Additional info for this problem: Error message reads
> that the program is in use by another person or program
> and to close off that use, first. I have tried to delete
> from the desktop folder and use shift+delete , but no good.

There is a small prog called moveonboot that might help you.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html

--
Trish
Dublin, Ireland

Sorry, tried that, too, but offending app doesn't show up, nor does
anything using part of the name of the app. Started to "End Process"
listed apps one at a time and then delete, but I caused a few too many
system shutdowns to be comfortable going that route. (48 processes, none
of which could I identify with the offending app.)