Cannot delete folder

I have been deleting some old music files and during this process I have
encountered big trouble deleting the folders that contain these files. I can
delete the contents of the folder, but can't delete the folder itself. The
error I receive is: Cannot delete "xxxyyyxxx" : It is being used by another
person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try
again.

I have attempted to delete runnign in safe mode, but no luck there.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

Hi / Bonjour *nordenlight* :

> I have been deleting some old music files and during this process I have
> encountered big trouble deleting the folders that contain these files. I can
> delete the contents of the folder, but can't delete the folder itself. The
> error I receive is: Cannot delete "xxxyyyxxx" : It is being used by another
> person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try
> again.
>
> I have attempted to delete runnign in safe mode, but no luck there.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Brian

1- Check to be sure there is no programs accessing this folder such as an anti-virus

2- Check the access rights with the security tab and give the full access to your account(an adm. account...)

3- Do not display the details with windows explorer and put the focus on the left side of the screen

4- Sometimes an file or folder name with special characters fool the system :
Check that way :
Start | Run | cmd /k
dir /X to list the folders with their short name
rename the folder name like this:
ren folder_name new_folder_name
and try to delete it:
del new_folder_name

For an easy access to the command window you can use this
MS Power Toy:CmdHere
http://www.microsoft.com/france/windows/xp/pro/telecharge/info/info.asp?mar=/france/windows/xp/home/telecharge/info/powertoys.html&xmlpath=/france/windows/xp/xml/telecharge_pro.xml&rang=12

:)

--
Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :)

«My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
http://climenole.serendipia.net
Soon on www.msmvps.com
Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com