Cannot detect sound card

cgroves

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Hey all, I've got a bit of a problem with my sound card. I am completely unable to detect it. It does not show up in the dxdiag, nor is it listed in the device manager (also no unknown devices listed).

I don't believe it is a hardware issue because I had this same problem with my last sound card, thought it might be the card so I snagged a new one and it seems to have the same problem.

Things I've tried:
-turning "on" Plug and Play in the BIOS
-installing drivers (drivers won't install when it cannot detect the hardware that it is for)
-checking connections/cords/cables
-changing the PCI slot that the sound card was put in
-about a dozen other little things that I can't remember anymore...

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit with a Maximus II Formula mb, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5 GHz and 4 gigs of RAM.

Everything worked just fine before I moved (never move your PC for any reason, ever...)

Please help, thank you.

Solution
Strange...
Check in your BIOS setup to see if the 'Memory Remap Feature' somehow got disabled. (Pg. 3-26 in your manual). If all else fails, do Windows backup image of the HDD (and make a system repair disk when done), and then try a fresh install of Windows 7. See if the card is recognized. If it still won't regognize it, you can always restore your system with the image you made using the system restore disk.

cgroves

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Sadly no :( I gave them a shot but I still get the same problem, "Can't install because we don't see your hardware blah blah blah..."

I also updated the chipset drivers on my mobo. I figured that MAYBE that would allow my mobo to detect something but to no avail :(

cgroves

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
My sound card does not show up in the device manager, no. I don't have any onboard sound as the mobo is a maximus II which includes a provided sound card. That sound card had the same issue as the one I'm currently working with. I bought the new one thinking that I might have a problem with the original sound card (apparently not an issue and I will likely return it once I get this issue fixed).

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If the card doesn't show up in Device Manager and there are no yellow exclamation marks indicating a problem, it appears Windows doesn't even know the card is in the expansion slot. That would indicate the card is dead or the PCI slots are not working. Do you have another PCI device you can test in the slots?

cgroves

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Unfortunately no. The only thing that MIGHT help is that I used my old sound card in a PCI-E x1 slot and had the same problem. This current card uses a PCI slot and neither are detected. It's like my computer won't detect any new hardware, no matter the slot that it's put in.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Strange...
Check in your BIOS setup to see if the 'Memory Remap Feature' somehow got disabled. (Pg. 3-26 in your manual). If all else fails, do Windows backup image of the HDD (and make a system repair disk when done), and then try a fresh install of Windows 7. See if the card is recognized. If it still won't regognize it, you can always restore your system with the image you made using the system restore disk.

Solution

vinocks

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
I also have the same problem of not recognizing the PCi sound card.
My system has Asus Crosshair IV Formula,I installed Creative Soundblaster xFI Elite Pro.Please help how to disable the on board sound or shall I go to "Memory Remap Feature" as above if it is in my mobo manual?Thanks

cgroves

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
I think that I'll end up reformatting my computer (it's about that time anyway...) Sorry for the late response. Semester started and I'm teaching for the first time (not as easy as taking a class). Will repost when I get the time to reformat. Thanks again for all of your help.

McNuts

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

I have the same card as you and the same problem. What did you see, cgroves? What do you know!??

brutalbreeze

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013

Please, somebody i have the same problem but with a ASUS XONAR DS !! HELP

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

To disable the on-board sound, go to your BIOS setup and find Advanced/OnBoard Device Configuration/HD Azalia Device. That is your onboard sound chip. You can disable it there. (page 3-25 in your motherboard manual) Then be sure you remember to set the sound card as the default device in Windows instead of the onboard.

If you need help with a problem, you will have better luck starting a new thread rather than hi-jacking another's thread.

cgroves

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

Unfortunately, I ended up rebuilding my PC (video card was virtually dead as well) which, as you would imagine, solved the problem. Afraid this is a mystery that I never solved...