[SOLVED] Cannot disable laptop keyboard

remluf

Honorable
Jan 27, 2017
I have an HP laptop and bought an external keyboard and mouse, and disabled the built in keyboard and touchpad mouse & buttons (due to pets).
All was well until I installed Windows version 2004. It thought it was being helpful by reinstalling the correct drivers for the laptop keybord & mouse which became active again. So I did what I did before which is to replace the keyboard driver with one from Toshiba and restarted the laptop, but the original driver was re-installed. I uninstalled the driver. Windows reinstalled it. I even tried a sugesstion I read to change a setting in Gpedit which didn't work either. So I have gone back to build 1903 until I find a solution. Any ideas what else could be tried?

Solution
How to temporarily disable laptop keyboard
  1. Head into your Start Menu, and type in Device Manager
  2. Open up the Device Manager and find your way to Keyboards and hit the arrow to the left of it
  3. Here you will be able to find your laptop’s keyboard. Right-click on it and hit 'Uninstall'
  4. The keyboard will now be temporarily disabled work until you have to restart your laptop, but when you turn it back on the machine will automatically reinstall the drivers for your keyboard. If you’d like to permanently disable the keyboard, we have a solution for that below.

I hope this is useful for you.
Sep 8, 2020
How to temporarily disable laptop keyboard
  1. Head into your Start Menu, and type in Device Manager
  2. Open up the Device Manager and find your way to Keyboards and hit the arrow to the left of it
  3. Here you will be able to find your laptop’s keyboard. Right-click on it and hit 'Uninstall'
  4. The keyboard will now be temporarily disabled work until you have to restart your laptop, but when you turn it back on the machine will automatically reinstall the drivers for your keyboard. If you’d like to permanently disable the keyboard, we have a solution for that below.

I hope this is useful for you.

Solution