Cannot disable Q-FAN in BIOS for CPU Fan

gedh

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
My mobo is ASUS P6T SE. CPU is i7 930 with stock fan. Q-FAN in turbo mode does not react fast enough to temp increases and does not go much above 2000 RPM even if CPU temp goes near 99 degs, even though stock fan can go to 3000 RPM I think. Therefore would like to disable in order to use Fan Xpert or SpeedFan, but if I do then a Windows process enables it again e.g. disable -> reboot --> still disabled --> enter windows --> enabled again. Please let me know what might be causing this, thanks

gedh

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Q-Fan was not running but Q-Fan Help was which I did not spot so have disabled now, thanks. Ai Suite launches FanXpert instead of Q-FAN but I thought FanXpert required Q-FAN to be disabled in BIOS, which is strange if they are essentially the same thing? Anyway, with Q-FAN disabled & staying in the BIOS, the fan speed starts at 1700 RPM & varies with the temp up to a steady 2200 RPM with the odd burst to 2400 RPM. So perhaps that is random variation and about 2200 is the max for the stock fan anyway & I need a new cooler? Not overclocking though

Glad the situation seems to be solved now though, it can be quite annoying when stuff just doesn't seem to want to co-operate. Seems to me that some companies get a bit carried away with providing built in controls and then adding their own software packages on top of that and they don't always seem to understand the consequences.

As for a new cooler, if you are still using the stock one, I would highly recommend you get a decent aftermarket job, even if you aren't planning on overclocking. Also, as far as AI Suite is concerned, if you are comfortable using speed fan then I'd just uninstall the AI suite stuff altogether.

TRENDING THREADS