Cannot download anything on any browser

FangOfAsgard

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Okay about 8 days ago i ran into a issue when trying to download a pdf. Didn't think anything of it then and have been off doing other things until yesterday i tried to download a video. Well long story short any browser i use will not download any program or file whatsoever. If i get someone to send me a file via skype i can retrieve it that way and normal programs can still update fine.

Firefox gives no errors the file just doesn't show up. chrome and internet explorer give the file was a virus and was deleted responses. I have run these programs in this order due to similar issues online. Ran Rogue Killer, Malwarebytes, Avast, AVG, Comodo, Spybot, CCleaner, Windows Defender, and Microsoft Security Essentials. AVG picked up something the others didn't called win32 inline hook supposedly it was deleted.

I've reset all browsers to default settings, cleared all history/ cookies and unchecked and rechecked IE internet options for file downloads and allow unsafe programs via prompt. Nothing seems to work to allow me to download anything through the browsers. Hopefully you guys can figure out what i can't ...

on a side note trying not to go reinstall windows route as i lost my install disk and the product key on the bottom of my laptop is so scratched i'll need a historian to tell me what it is. :(

FangOfAsgard

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
If anyone is having the same issues i was having this guy Rkinner solved the issue i was having with my windows 7 it had something to do with the antivirus registry key flipping values on me either due to malware or some weird digital fluke. here were his steps found at geekstogo

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/327126-cant-download-anything-virusmalware/

Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt (Win 7 or Vista: right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator), Continue. Type with an Enter after each line:

regedit

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments]

Find "ScanWithAntiVirus" in the right pane and doubleclick on it and change it to 1.

Also Check

HKEY_Current_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments]

Reboot.

JustABlueJay

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
Thanks, I was having similar issues which my downaloads would slowly download and the estimated download time gradually increased to infinity and the download just stopped. This did work and I hope it doesn't have any drawbacks.