Question Cannot edit metadata on Wav files - auto read only status on folders

Digz27

Reputable
Mar 9, 2016
Hi guys - long time.

I'm preparing an album to send to a distributor, but one of the conditions for upload is that the files must have all relevant metadata (artist name, album etc).

Using Winamp, I am able to edit all metadata, and export the full album as mp3 w/metadata attached - however I cannot do the same with Wav files.
After much back an forth, and a huge meltdown, I realised that the original folder containing the Wav version is read only; which seems to happen automatically.

No matter how many times I switch off read only, it resets.

I did some digging, and found out that this is apparently a built-in feature of windows 10.
I (of course) have full permissions on my PC, but no matter what I do, I cannot change the read only status of my folders permanently, nor can I edit the metadata directly, or through 'Groove' because the option to edit info does not come up - most likely because the original folder is set to read only...

I'm in a bind now, because I don't know what to do anymore.

I have read that you can change this via the command prompt, but doing so will affect the OS - and I'm not expert in cmd.

Any advice/solutions would be great, as I cannot move forward with my album release until I can get around this obstacle.

Cheers everyone.

Unless the file format specification has been radically changed, of late, .wav files do not support attached metadata tagging.

To tag the files for submission, you will need to submit them in .mp3, .flac, .ogg, .ape, .mpc, .tak, .wma, .wv, or, if you use it, .ofr or .ofs.

Last edited: