[SOLVED] Cannot enter bios at all

Mar 29, 2019
Hey guys. I'm having trouble getting into my bios. I Have looked through almost all threads about getting into the bios, but sadly I cannot get any of them to work. I have tried hitting del, f12, changing keyboards (have not used a ps 2), even doing shift restart and going to advanced options and selecting the UEFI mode does not work. I have not cleared my cmos yet though. Also, I have Win 10 on a ssd and it boots quick, so I guess maybe the keyboard cant be recognized before it starts up. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

specs
cpu: i7 8700k
mobo: Asus Z-390 Prime-A
gpu: Gtx 1070
ram: 16gb Gskill trident Z 3000mhz
ssd: Samsung 850 evo

Thanks!

Solution
Did you remove the CMOS battery or did you use the CMOS reset pins? Probably you have forgotten something. Either the CMOS battery is upside down (Should have the smooth side facing UP), or you forgot to plug the PSU PCI/PEG connectors back into the graphics card or the card is not fully seated, or, you unplugged something by accident during the process. Make sure the RAM is fully seated, all of the front panel connections to the motherboard are still plugged in, CPU cooler is still flat and did not get cocked by a corner or side of the heatsink hardware coming undone or anything like that.

Also, make sure that while you have the graphics card installed, you are plugging into the graphics card with your display cable and that when you...
You need to power off the system. Then, power on and IMMEDIATELY begin rapid fire spamming the Delete key continuously without stopping until the system enters the BIOS setup program. Click, click, click, click, click about as fast as you can from the moment you power on until you see that it is in fact into the BIOS.

If that doesn't work, because perhaps Ultra fast boot has been enabled in the BIOS, then you will need to reset the BIOS to defaults by removing the CMOS battery for about five minutes, pressing the BIOS reset button if your board has one or jumping the BIOS reset pins. Removing the CMOS battery is the most effective in all cases. Then, repeat the procedure above the next time you power on and you SHOULD be able to then get into the BIOS.

Mar 29, 2019
You need to power off the system. Then, power on and IMMEDIATELY begin rapid fire spamming the Delete key continuously without stopping until the system enters the BIOS setup program. Click, click, click, click, click about as fast as you can from the moment you power on until you see that it is in fact into the BIOS.

If that doesn't work, because perhaps Ultra fast boot has been enabled in the BIOS, then you will need to reset the BIOS to defaults by removing the CMOS battery for about five minutes, pressing the BIOS reset button if your board has one or jumping the BIOS reset pins. Removing the CMOS battery is the most effective in all cases. Then, repeat the procedure above the next time you power on and you SHOULD be able to then get into the BIOS.

So uh. I reset my cmos and went to turn it on. It did a power cycle then I assume it turned on all while pressing the del key. But now the problem is I don’t get video output. I had to take out my gpu to get to my cmos. I’m kinda shitting myself lol. I will try to reseat the gpu then respond back.

Did you remove the CMOS battery or did you use the CMOS reset pins? Probably you have forgotten something. Either the CMOS battery is upside down (Should have the smooth side facing UP), or you forgot to plug the PSU PCI/PEG connectors back into the graphics card or the card is not fully seated, or, you unplugged something by accident during the process. Make sure the RAM is fully seated, all of the front panel connections to the motherboard are still plugged in, CPU cooler is still flat and did not get cocked by a corner or side of the heatsink hardware coming undone or anything like that.

Also, make sure that while you have the graphics card installed, you are plugging into the graphics card with your display cable and that when you try the motherboard output, the graphics card is NOT installed.

You DID turn the power off before you started messing with the graphics card right? Unplugged it from the wall or turned the switch off on the back of the PSU as well?

Solution
Mar 29, 2019

Also, make sure that while you have the graphics card installed, you are plugging into the graphics card with your display cable and that when you try the motherboard output, the graphics card is NOT installed.

You DID turn the power off before you started messing with the graphics card right? Unplugged it from the wall or turned the switch off on the back of the PSU as well?
I removed the cmos battery. When I removed the cmos the first time I just flipped the psu switch in the back in waited till the lights turned off then removed it. But I did not unplug it from the wall. Everything looks good inside, nothing I can visiby see that looks off. I’m not sure what happened.

I removed the cmos again and it did the same thing. Power cycled twice then seemed to boot. When I tried the mobo output before I did not unplug the gpu. I will try that now.

Just tried it. No mobo output either.

Edit: Not sure if this is off any help but the boot led and vga led is on.

Edit 2 : retried to use the mobo output and it worked im in the bios. I guess I had a bad hdmi cable.

Edit 3: plugged in gpu and booted fine! Thanks so much for the help guys I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019
So you were able to get into the BIOS and get booted into windows afterwards? Good deal. Glad it worked out. Weird that the cable issue only became obvious after resetting the BIOS, but it's certainly not THE weirdest thing I've seen. :)
Thanks! I just used a random hdmi cable I had lying around because I use dvi for video from my gpu, and my mobo does not have a dvi port. So, I guess my first hdmi was bad or something. Anyway, yes I was able to get into my bios. I really appreciate the help btw!