Cannot extend my display to the third monitor.

TheCatINASweater

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
For a year now I have been running dual monitors. I had an extra monitor, so I figured I would set up 3 monitors since the Radeon R9 270x can support up to 6. I hooked up the third monitor but it will not allow me to extend the display. It states "unable to save display settings". The cables I am using are: 2 DVI and on display port to dvi. All the monitors work but I can only extend two at a time. I tried AMD eyefinity as well, but when I try to extend the third monitor using that it states "To extend the desktop, a desktop or display must be disabled" . I went onto amd.com/eyefinity and it states that one monitor must be hooked up using either display port or mini display port, and the other two can be hooked up with any combination of dvi, or hdmi. Well I have 1 hooked into display and 2 into DVI, yet it won't work. Any suggestions for this problem??? Thanks!

TheCatINASweater

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
Right now i have 2 monitors that are in extended mode. I am pretty sure my GPU supports more than 3 because I am able to enable Eyefinity. I should be able to connect 2 via an HDMI or DVI and 4 more on the display port.

Jacob Bowerman

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
ive had bad experiences with display port adapters. perhaps do some troubleshooting. take the dvi cord out of the existing monitors and see if ti works in the new monitor. try using a hdmi cable instead of display port?