[SOLVED] Cannot extend volume with unallocated space

May 5, 2020
I have 500 MB of unnalocated space on my SSD and I want to add it to the primary partition but I cannot because there is a EFI partition between the unnalocated space and the primary partition. I already tried extending the volume using diskpart but it didn't work, what do I do?
Disk Management

Solution
I have 500 MB of unnalocated space on my SSD and I want to add it to the primary partition but I cannot because there is a EFI partition between the unnalocated space and the primary partition.
Don't. 500MB changes nothing (0.4% of total disk capacity).

To do this, you'd have to move EFI System partition to start of the drive, then C: partition right after EFI System.
Only after this, C: can be extended (if free space is after it, not before it).
Boot configuration data will require fixing.
If power fails during move of C: , your data is corrupted and you'll have to reinstall.

Also these operations require 3rd party partitioning management software. Built in windows tools do not allow this.
I have 500 MB of unnalocated space on my SSD and I want to add it to the primary partition but I cannot because there is a EFI partition between the unnalocated space and the primary partition.
Don't. 500MB changes nothing (0.4% of total disk capacity).

To do this, you'd have to move EFI System partition to start of the drive, then C: partition right after EFI System.
Only after this, C: can be extended (if free space is after it, not before it).
Boot configuration data will require fixing.
If power fails during move of C: , your data is corrupted and you'll have to reinstall.

Also these operations require 3rd party partitioning management software. Built in windows tools do not allow this.

Last edited:
Solution