I'm not sure if I am in the right discussion group, but
hopefully someone can tell me if there is a solution to
my problem. I found I had a Trojan virus yesterday, in
spite of the fact that i have antivirus software in
place. Today when I try to get onto the computer. I get a
message. 'cannot find operating system.' Is there
anything to do?

Thanks

Rosemary--

This is rarely caused by a Virus, Trojan, or blended threat. See this:

"When you try to start your Microsoft Windows XP-based computer, you may
receive an error message that the operating system is not found. This issue
can be caused by hard disk drive failure, incorrect BIOS settings, a damaged
or missing Master Boot Record (MBR), or an incorrect active partition. To
resolve this issue, correct the computer's BIOS settings, use the Windows XP
Recovery Console, or mark the correct partition on your hard disk drive as
active."

"Operating System Not Found" or "Missing operating system" error message
when you start your Windows XP-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321626&Product=winxp

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console

Resources for troubleshooting startup problems in Windows XP

Chad Harris
___________________

"Rosemary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I'm not sure if I am in the right discussion group, but
hopefully someone can tell me if there is a solution to
my problem. I found I had a Trojan virus yesterday, in
spite of the fact that i have antivirus software in
place. Today when I try to get onto the computer. I get a
message. 'cannot find operating system.' Is there
anything to do?

Thanks

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

Hi:

I would advise you to contact your anti-virus vendor for how to perform a
virus scan during boot up and remove virus and possibly recover operating
system from Trojan virus.

After virus is removed, you may need a repair installation or a clean
installation, depending on the damage but it is too early to tell.

Please do remember update your anti-virus software and put it on
auto-protect state from now on.

Good luck and hope this will help.

--
Business executive who believes technology but don't want to be messed
around.