Cannot fix boot loop after changing OC settings

envijapan

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
Hey everyone.

I have a problem with a boot loop, preventing me from entering BIOS.
This has occurred after lowering my Vcore from 4.5GHz@1.35 to 4.5GHz@1.34. After applying the change, my computer restarted and I brought up a menu telling me to return to defaults, however because I was spamming delete at the time to enter BIOS, it erased the page and started this boot loop.
I've read multiple threads and tried all the CMOS reset options, however I'm still stuck in the loop.

Could it be possible that this has fried my motherboard or something?

CPU: i5-2500k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Solution
Have you pulled the CMOS battery and returned it, then tried again? Maybe try removing the CMOS battery, unplugging the PSU from the wall, pressing the power button for about thirty seconds, then return everything and try again.

If that doesn't work then there has likely somehow been damage to the motherboard or cpu, although just dropping the voltage .01 shouldn't ever cause trouble on any system.
Have you pulled the CMOS battery and returned it, then tried again? Maybe try removing the CMOS battery, unplugging the PSU from the wall, pressing the power button for about thirty seconds, then return everything and try again.

If that doesn't work then there has likely somehow been damage to the motherboard or cpu, although just dropping the voltage .01 shouldn't ever cause trouble on any system.

Solution

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
yeah try pulling your cmos battery if resetting cmos didn't work. if that doesn't allow you to boot up then you likely fried something which as darkbreeze pointed out would be odd since you lowered voltage not upped it. Also try reseatting all your PSU cables like you 20/24 pin atx connection and any others that power your motherboard. reseat all our ram modules too just to be safe to see if that makes any difference.

envijapan

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
Hey guys - thanks for the quick replies.

Yes I've tried removing the CMOS battery and re-installing it after 15mins or so - same problem.

I was lowering the voltage, playing with settings (LLC etc) to get a stable clock at the lowest possible voltage that wouldn't fluctuate too much from vdroop.

The problem is I can't even go out and buy a new 1155 socket motherboard because noone in Japan sells them anymore!

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

Did you reseat all your cables, ram and add in cards?

envijapan

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
I had absolutely no thermal issues even under prime95. In fact I had just installed a Coolermaster H110.

FYI: The compute restarts twice, once in about 2 seconds, and soon after the enter BIOS screen shows up (before I can press DEL to actually enter the BIOS).

envijapan

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
Re seated all cables, and tried removing the CMOS battery again - still no luck :(.

My PSU is a Coolermaster GX650w. Product no: RS-650-ACAA-E3: http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/gx-series/gx-650w/

I was almost sure that it was a simple CMOS issue, because it prompted me to revert back to a previous setting (which I accidentally skipped by pressing DEL), I guess something really could be damaged :(.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

yeah it is not looking good. i'll keep thinking on it but likely your motherboard has a lot in common with a paper weight at this point.

envijapan

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
Thanks guys.

I have Z77 1155 socket board in the PC I'm replying on now, but I am scared to drop the CPU into that in case it fries the motherboard (I've had a bad experience troubleshooting doing this about 5 years ago, which ended up bricking two PCS).

Just a question - if it is my MB that is broken, by trying all this CMOS resetting stuff is it possible that I'm damaging the CPU too?

envijapan

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
I could try the PSU in this computer I suppose. My PSU was starting to get a bit rattly, but I thought that was just the fan. Would doing something like lowering the Voltage brick a PSU?

Benevolence

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
I had a similar Giga motherboard which ended up with a damaged cmos due to underclocking. I was able to "jump-start" it with a fork by bridging the clrcmos jumpers about for about 1/4sec right after power on. This definitely damages the CMOS, but if you're left with no other options... (seriously don't do this)

Otherwise does this board have a dual-bios? Sometimes you can hold a key combo to boot into the secondary bios (hard time finding that key combo online...)
This gem taken from the web, I've rescued two boards and fried another one with this method, ensure you have dualbios:

1. Short out pins 1 and 6 on the main BIOS chip (pin #1 should be marked with a red dot or whatever)
2. Tell a friend (or a relative) of yours to press the power on button
3. Remove the ghetto-like jumper you're holding between pins 1 and 6 as soon as you hear a beep.
4. Backup BIOS should kick in again and everything will (hopefully) be fine.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

his board does have dual bios but i would only do the above as a very last resort.

That board DOES have a dual bios, at least if it is the revision 1.3 model. But if there was an issue with the BIOS ROM itself, it wouldn't matter. Done is done. If it's just a corruption of the main image, it might work, but I'd be skeptical about trying a shade tree tactic when there's still plenty left to check before getting to that point.

Benevolence

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Indeed Dark. My answer is what you may turn to after declaring your motherboard a brick.
If you have another PSU go for it, although PSU testers are rather cheap too if you don't have another PSU.
This may seem obvious but have you tried booting with everything non-essential removed? Remove the HDD, all but 1 stick of RAM, etc. Only what you need to verify the status of the bios.

envijapan

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
@Benevolence

Yep I've got it down to the bare minimum, still not working.

FYI it on the 2nd boot cycle, my motherboard speaker beeps once before resetting again. Does this mean anything?

envijapan

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
Just tested a different PSU - same issue.

If I do this YOLO trick, is it possible that it could fry my RAM and CPU too?

Also I guess I'm going to have to start looking at a new MB plus CPU since my 2500k won't fit into anything out on the market.
i7-4790k with a Z97 motherboard sound okay?