[SOLVED] Cannot fix/rebuild MBR

aco3

Honorable
Apr 26, 2014
Everyone’s solutions to fix MBR after a new system being built just seem to not work for me. I’m a complete novice when it comes to things under the hood as I’m used to building machines from scratch, this is actually the first time I’ve upgraded parts for someone.

I have tried a number of things in the WRE in command prompt, a couple commands work fine but when I input

Bootrec /RebuildBcd

I will get an error (can’t remember what it said now, but I can re-do this if needed to get an error message for you guys)

Basically I’m at a lost trying to fix this seemingly simple problem. Any input appreciated

Thanks!

Solution
With a new motherboard, a clean install is strongly recommended, usually required.

And yes, everything on that drive WILL be wiped out during this install. You must find somewhere (and somehow) to offload any personal files that may be on that drive.
You're describing, what you did to fix some problem without actually telling, what the problem is.
Please list:
full system specs (before and after upgrade);​
what you did;​
what error you're getting.​
Generally, if you changed motherboard, then it's recommended to reinstall OS.

aco3

Honorable
Apr 26, 2014
You're describing, what you did to fix some problem without actually telling, what the problem is.
Please list:
full system specs (before and after upgrade);​
what you did;​
what error you're getting.​
Generally, if you changed motherboard, then it's recommended to reinstall OS.
Do I have to take everything off my hard drive before I reinstall my OS? I currently don’t have another computer I can backup their files to.

Also you’re right, I forgot to mention the most important part, my head has just been all over the place. So I’ve just upgraded parts, mobo included, and I cannot boot into my hard drive.

I’ve heard people being able to fix MBR and then they were able to boot. My computer sees the hard drive and WRE can see all of the partitions, so I know my stuff is still there, I just can’t figure out how to boot into it.

I’ll get the error code in just a moment. Stuck in a bit of traffic atm. Thank you!!

USAFRet

Titan
With a new motherboard, a clean install is strongly recommended, usually required.

And yes, everything on that drive WILL be wiped out during this install. You must find somewhere (and somehow) to offload any personal files that may be on that drive.

Solution

aco3

Honorable
Apr 26, 2014

I see, I guess that's the best solution. I'll try and find another system I can back up my drive to. What files do you recommend I keep? This system is a gaming PC, do you reckon I take their games off for them? Desktop? Just wanna hit all the stops they might not think of when I ask them.

USAFRet

Titan
I see, I guess that's the best solution. I'll try and find another system I can back up my drive to. What files do you recommend I keep? This system is a gaming PC, do you reckon I take their games off for them? Desktop? Just wanna hit all the stops they might not think of when I ask them.
Personal files. Doc/Music/Video/etc
If you can locate the SteamApps folder, that whole thing.
If this were still in the original running system, I'd say an export of the browser profiles.
In any case, all their username/passwords need to be documented, along with any license keys for installed software.

aco3

Honorable
Apr 26, 2014
Personal files. Doc/Music/Video/etc
If you can locate the SteamApps folder, that whole thing.
If this were still in the original running system, I'd say an export of the browser profiles.
In any case, all their username/passwords need to be documented, along with any license keys for installed software.
Didn’t think to grab their browser bookmarks, so far they seem understanding. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I feel like an idiot haha, good info to know for later though. Thanks again