Cannot for the life of me figure out how to type <>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2019
Hi,
Sorry in advance as this is a really retarded question. Tried googling but can't find any straightforward answers.

So I recently received a Macbook from work that I use for coding. The keyboard layout is Japanese, but since I am Finnish I most often use the Finnish keyboard language as I'm most used to coding with that.

But it seems that the Japanese keyboard leaves no room for the button that <> would normally be written with? I have tried every button with every combination of control, shift and alt. It seems so strange that I wouldn't be able to write such a common used symbol at all just because I am using a different keyboard language than the layout is.

Is there any way to remap the keyboard keys so that I may use some other key to write <>? Or is learning the Japanese keyboard layout my only choice?

Any help is much appreciated.

Jan 14, 2019
Do you know any good programs to do that with? I know with the regular keyboard settings I can set up text replacement (such as typing "omw" to get "on my way") but I don't want that, I want to use a specific key, for example alt+. to type the symbols.

Jan 14, 2019
Figured it out. MacOS apparently does not provide any way to do this so I downloaded Keyboard Maestro to make my custom macros. Thanks for the help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.