cannot format hdd!

i am runninf windows xp and have three hdd's. However one
of them (80GB)is not recognised, it is displayed as a
local disk. I have started the computer back in dos mode
and tried to format the drive but no success. I am trying
to install win98 on this drive but when i choose format
drive in the setup menu it claims the disk has a non-dos
patition and it wont go any further. If you look at the
properties of the disk in windows (XP) it is displayed as
size unknown but capacity is completely full. I have even
tried to format it by the right click method but it wont
allow me.

ANY SUGGECTIONS?

"singh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i am runninf windows xp and have three hdd's. However one
> of them (80GB)is not recognised, it is displayed as a
> local disk. I have started the computer back in dos mode
> and tried to format the drive but no success. I am trying
> to install win98 on this drive but when i choose format
> drive in the setup menu it claims the disk has a non-dos
> patition and it wont go any further. If you look at the
> properties of the disk in windows (XP) it is displayed as
> size unknown but capacity is completely full. I have even
> tried to format it by the right click method but it wont
> allow me.
>
> ANY SUGGECTIONS?

Delete all partitions on that disk, then create a
FAT32 partition and format it.

If you want to install Win98 on it then you have
two choices:
- Your WinXP system partition must be FAT32, or
- You must use a third-party boot manager, e.g. XOSL.

>Delete all partitions on that disk, then create a
>FAT32 partition and format it.
>
>If you want to install Win98 on it then you have
>two choices:
>- Your WinXP system partition must be FAT32, or
>- You must use a third-party boot manager, e.g. XOSL.

Windows does not allow you to access the drive. and dos
does not let you format the drive. How do i delete all
partitions?

> >Delete all partitions on that disk, then create a
> >FAT32 partition and format it.
> >
> >If you want to install Win98 on it then you have
> >two choices:
> >- Your WinXP system partition must be FAT32, or
> >- You must use a third-party boot manager, e.g. XOSL.
>
> Windows does not allow you to access the drive. and dos
> does not let you format the drive. How do i delete all
> partitions?

Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk from
www.bootdisk.com, then delete the partitions with
delpart.exe from http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.htm.