Cannot format MICRO SD CARD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottForum

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
I have a corrupted micro sd card. Although I cannot format it, the data on it is still accessible. Non of the suggestions in this forum have worked for me.

Reason for concern...via RMA process with SanDisk, I must send in my existing card. Not that there's anything really sensitive, it's still data from my mobile phone that I wish not to share.

I have tried formatting the card in Windows, via CMD, in Linux, via mkfs, and in Android. Is there anything, outside of destroying the card, that can make accessing the data on the card impossible?

SanDisk Ultra 128 GB Micro SD Card

Solution
Try a different micro-SD adapter and formatting using different devices. If you are using an SD-to-micro adapter, make sure the write-protect switch is in the RW position. If nothing works, then the SD card may have run into an error it isn't able to recover from and destroying the card may be your only 'erase' option, though it probably voids your warranty too.

What you could have done on your phone is enable SD card encryption so no other device can read what is on it. On the downside, it also means you cannot move data between devices by swapping the SD card around and your data is f'd if your phone fails or you need to factory-reset it. (I screwed myself over once by enabling SD-card encryption and then having to factory-reset the...

InvalidError

Titan
Try a different micro-SD adapter and formatting using different devices. If you are using an SD-to-micro adapter, make sure the write-protect switch is in the RW position. If nothing works, then the SD card may have run into an error it isn't able to recover from and destroying the card may be your only 'erase' option, though it probably voids your warranty too.

What you could have done on your phone is enable SD card encryption so no other device can read what is on it. On the downside, it also means you cannot move data between devices by swapping the SD card around and your data is f'd if your phone fails or you need to factory-reset it. (I screwed myself over once by enabling SD-card encryption and then having to factory-reset the tablet it was in after a firmware update to clear stability issues.)

Solution

ScottForum

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014

Thanks. Gave it a try, but could not get it to run on my Win10 system. I've also tried sdcard.org formatter...failure with it as well.

ScottForum

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014

Thanks. I've tried several different adapters and machines. Encryption...yeah, I do transfer files and create backups. Since I'm no rooted, I can't use TB, so backups would be worthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.