[SOLVED] cannot format this volume

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
I have only one ssd on my pc, i want do clean installation of win 10. I tryed fromat the disk, because is allready running the previous win 10 , formatting of the disc, is not allowed. What can i do ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I have only one ssd on my pc, i want do clean installation of win 10. I tryed fromat the disk, because is allready running the previous win 10 , formatting of the disc, is not allowed. What can i do ?
You can't "format" a drive with the OS running on it.

You NEED to boot from a Win 10 install USB.
Delete ALL partitions in the process and continue on.

Read this all the way through:

Then, read it again, focusing on Section II, Step 6 & 7.

Then, do what it says.

USAFRet

Titan
You can't "format" a drive with the OS running on it.

You NEED to boot from a Win 10 install USB.
Delete ALL partitions in the process and continue on.

Read this all the way through:

Then, read it again, focusing on Section II, Step 6 & 7.

Then, do what it says.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: manolis kokotsakis
Solution

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
Thanks again for your time sir.
1. My Bios is set to BOTH choice, for uefi and legacy. You mean , make the change and put it only to UEFI choice ? Is the pc gonna start work after to complete the intsallation, or it will rebbot again and again because the , allready existing ssd, is not set , i think , i only UEFI mode ?

2. Forgive me, i dont fully understood the advice of the article . I have to change from bios the priority and ask to , boot from USB fisrt ? And after , the choice of format the ssd will come ?

3. My pc is a Lenovo Thinkapad T440s. Do i need to make a Bios update , since the lust update is from 2016 ?

Thanks for your time again sir,
you are always precise and helpfull.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

1. just boot on the winows 10 USB
  2. choose CUSTOM INSTALL
  3. then DELETE all partitions on the drive
  4. then select NEW (for new partition) and click the next button and continue to install winows clean

D

Deleted member 14196

did you boot off of your windows 10 usb drive and install windows clean after setting to UEFI? If not, you probably need to reinstall windows.

it should work. set to uefi only, insert win10 usb flash drive, set boot order to boot of usb, then use windows installer as explained above to remove ALL partitions on your windows drive and then select new, choose defaults and install

after installer is finished remove win10 usb flash drive and reboot laptop to finish the install. if that does not work, you have hardware issues.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkP...-UEFI-Secure-Boot-is-it-possible/td-p/3772908