Question Cannot get 1440 ultrawide stable (in windows) above 60hz

Oct 8, 2020
I was definitely having a RAM issue that I'm working to resolve now, but I'm concerned that I'm having ongoing issues. I recently bought a DarkMatter ultrawide from Monoprice. I love the monitor overall, but I've been having a ton of issues with getting it to run optimally. I have a 7600k and a 2070 super. When I try to set the monitor in windows to 144hz, it won't even display anything. At 120hz it is very torn and fuzzy. At 100hz it goes black every 2-20s. At 60hz it seems to be stable.

The other end of this is that I did discover today that one of my 2 8gb ram sticks is bad so I'm down to 8gb (or probably have been for a while without realizing). I'm ordering 2 x 16gb, but I'm not sure that will resolve the display issues that I've described. Any help greatly appreciated.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33918939

Oct 8, 2020
What's your complete PC spec?
i5-7600k cpu @3.80ghz (not currently overclocked)
G.Skill TridentZ 8GB DDR4 (3200) after removing my other 8GB stick
Asus Prime Z270-A
RTX 2070 Super
EVGA G3 Supernova 750W
Not sure if there is anything else you'd want to know.
Who makes Dark Matter monitors? What model is it?
Monoprice: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=40776
If you try your old monitor is everything OK?
I'm still using my old 1080p as a second monitor and it hasn't had any of these issues at all. My work computer is a 2017 macbook pro and I've had zero issues with it (running the 1440p ultrawide + the extra 1080p). I have no reason to believe there are any issues with the monitor itself.
What sort of cable are you using eg HDMI?
DisplayPort for everything.

Oct 8, 2020
A little more info about the monitor:
I originally setup freesync/g-sync, but have since reset the monitor to factory settings with no better results in case anyone is wondering.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
Oct 8, 2020
Is the new ram that you put in listed on the motherboard memory QVL?
I haven't installed new ram yet. It won't be delivered until next week.
Have you talked to Monoprice about the problems you're having?
Did you tell them that with your old monitor, everything works fine?
I wasn't sure how helpful they would be, but I can try their customer service. I've been thinking this is a hardware or settings issue with my computer and not an issue with the monitor (especially not having any issues with my mac).
Do you have a manual for the monitor?
Yes. The manual doesn't have much and does not include a very thorough trouble shooting guide.
Does the monitor have it's own menu system?
Yes. It's kind of hard to follow though. I followed a guide for setting up freesync/g-sync originally, but have now returned it to factory settings.
This guys says he can OC his to 200Hz
How are you setting the refresh rate?
Yeah, I've seen that too. I haven't even considered overclocking it at this point as I can't even get stable frame rates above 60hz.
I've been setting the refresh rate in the widows display settings via Nvidia Control Panel.

Oct 8, 2020
Edit: I changed out the DP cable that I was using and this seems to have resolved all of my issues. I was using a DP 1.4 cable, but it's possibly defective. New cable is working perfectly. Thanks @SteveRX4 for your help.

Last edited: