Cannot get access to hard disk directly

I have a software program which was developed in early 90's and it runs on dos. Currently it is on a old pc which had only dos. Now I want to use it on my new machine with windows 2000 profesional. The problem is that the software requires direct hard disk access. Therefore, whenever I try to run the software it gives me an error. Please can someone tell me how to allow the software to directly access the hard disk.

I don't think you'll be able to do that. Windows NT-based operating systems
do not allow applications to access hardware directly - that's what the HAL
is for. I suspect you'll need to keep a DOS-based OS around if you want to
run this app.