Cannot get audio working on Windows 2000

Spiderkeys

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2015
Hello, this has been driving me crazy, I made up 3 partitioned triple boot system with Windows XP SP3, Windows 2000 SP4, and Windows XP x64 Professional SP2.

I had no problem hunting down all drivers for the XP systems, but managed to get my graphics card working and WiFi with the correct drivers, which has surprised me, for such an old OS.

But Audio, been a problem, My XP's use VIA HD Audio Deck for audio, so I presumed a version of this, would work also for 2000, but even that it appears to install correctly without problems, Windows 2000 just doesn't like it.

Everytime I boot up 2000, It always greets with the Found New Hardware message on startup (Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus or something), yet message just says on-screen and doesn't do anything, I have to force kill it in task manager to get out of it.

I tried uninstalling driver then reinstalling, etc, the speaker has never appeared on the taskbar yet, obviously I can't find the motherboard's chipset drivers that might work on 2000

speccy reports my motherboard is ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5G41C-M-LX (LGA775)

As for Audio section, It just says No audio card detected, any ideas of any older drivers that I could try?

Just to note: My Windows 2000 is installed on Partition 2 which calls itself Drive E: But I can't think that could be the issue.

Solution
hold on let me try that once more
well I guess I cant hot link it to you sorry

but go to via and drivers and use the drop box and input that os and chipset info and it will take you to the driver download page for the 1708s chipset and its win 2000 driver for it

heck now I cant seem to get back to what I found for you to start with ... sorry
hold on let me try that once more
well I guess I cant hot link it to you sorry

but go to via and drivers and use the drop box and input that os and chipset info and it will take you to the driver download page for the 1708s chipset and its win 2000 driver for it

heck now I cant seem to get back to what I found for you to start with ... sorry

Solution

Spiderkeys

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2015
OMG! Thank you! It Worked! this was the same driver I was trying install before, everything goes smoothy like, then it tells me it's a success and asks me to restart computer only to get back with nothing, I simiply must of been trying to installed an unsupported later version!

Thanks again, can't believe, honesty all week finding the correct driver was like looking for a needle in a haysack,

Now can't believe I got a fully working version of 2000!