Question Cannot get full internet speed over PPoE

PRATZiLLA27

Reputable
Feb 5, 2017
I recently switched to a new ISP (fiber internet) which requires me to connect using dial-up since the ISP uses PPoE. I am using the modem without router provided by the company but i still am getting 1/5 of my download and upload speed. Is there any way to get the actual speed from my ISP. I have contacted my ISP but they can't seem to find a solution.

Note : I have randomly sometimes been able to get full speed before when I restarted my PC and it would connect to the Ethernet instead of the PPoE WAN Port.

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
If you are using PPoE to connect to your ISP, it's not "fiber", you got ripped off. Every ISP uses fiber as their backbone, what matters is what you use to connect to the ISP itself. They sold you DSL over phone lines, you are not going to get fiber speeds.

PRATZiLLA27

Reputable
Feb 5, 2017
If you are using PPoE to connect to your ISP, it's not "fiber", you got ripped off. Every ISP uses fiber as their backbone, what matters is what you use to connect to the ISP itself. They sold you DSL over phone lines, you are not going to get fiber speeds.
It is a fiber cable and not a telephone cable. I have both and I can verity that the new one is indeed an optic fiber connectiom.

It is not really recommended that you directly hook your PC to a internet connection. A router in between protects your pc from attack mostly because a router add a layer of protection and routers are very simplistic so they seldom can be attacked themselves.

In any case this is a ask your ISP question. PPPoE does take more cpu but it is not very much when you consider a router can run it. It should not bottleneck the speed.

Now it could be the ISP has it misconfigured. The reason they use PPPoE is so they know which user is using the system. They can have different rates for different people. So the fiber itself might be able to run gigabit but if you only purchased a 100mbps plan the ISP will put a artificial limitation on you based on your login.