Question Cannot get into BIOS - Just a Flashing Cursor

kandm

Commendable
May 26, 2018
Hi All

This is long winded so please bear with me.

So I built a PC - I have done this many times before so I know my way around a motherboard etc... Specs are:
Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V Motherbaord
Intel i5-4440 CPU with Stock Cooler
2 x4 gb Corsair Vengence RAM
1 x 120gb Samsung SSD (Windows 10)
1 x 120gb Integral SSD (MACOS)
1 x 250gb Seagate HDD (data)
Sumvision X3 600W PSU
Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 3.1 Case

Everything has been running smooth, until I wanted to turn off Fastboot. As I couldn't get into the BIOS to do that, I unplugged all HDDS so try and access the BIOS to turn off Fast boot. From then when I turned on my PC I cannot even get into the BIOS, despite pressing all relevant Keys F2, F12 and Del these seem to be ignored and all I get is black screen with a flashing cursor as if the Motherboard is expecting to find a boot device and just sits there.
It does this with or with the hdds connected, and even if I have a Live Linux USB connected.

This is what I have done to try and remedy the situation.

Unplugged the power cable, removed the CMOS battery for an hour. Put it back in, powered up. Nothing has changed.

Unplugged the power cable, removed the CMOS battery for 15 mins and put a screwdriver on the CLR_CMOS jumper for 20 seconds, put the battery back in and turned on the PC, nothing has changed.

The same as above, but also holding down the power button on the case for 10 seconds.

Occasionally, I can see the BIOS options, Press F12 for Boot Options, Press ESC for Q-Boot etc.... but it is incredibly Fast

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Reactions: Gaming7Ray
Jun 13, 2020
Hi All

This is long winded so please bear with me.

So I built a PC - I have done this many times before so I know my way around a motherboard etc... Specs are:
Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V Motherbaord
Intel i5-4440 CPU with Stock Cooler
2 x4 gb Corsair Vengence RAM
1 x 120gb Samsung SSD (Windows 10)
1 x 120gb Integral SSD (MACOS)
1 x 250gb Seagate HDD (data)
Sumvision X3 600W PSU
Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 3.1 Case

Everything has been running smooth, until I wanted to turn off Fastboot. As I couldn't get into the BIOS to do that, I unplugged all HDDS so try and access the BIOS to turn off Fast boot. From then when I turned on my PC I cannot even get into the BIOS, despite pressing all relevant Keys F2, F12 and Del these seem to be ignored and all I get is black screen with a flashing cursor as if the Motherboard is expecting to find a boot device and just sits there.
It does this with or with the hdds connected, and even if I have a Live Linux USB connected.

This is what I have done to try and remedy the situation.

Unplugged the power cable, removed the CMOS battery for an hour. Put it back in, powered up. Nothing has changed.

Unplugged the power cable, removed the CMOS battery for 15 mins and put a screwdriver on the CLR_CMOS jumper for 20 seconds, put the battery back in and turned on the PC, nothing has changed.

The same as above, but also holding down the power button on the case for 10 seconds.

Occasionally, I can see the BIOS options, Press F12 for Boot Options, Press ESC for Q-Boot etc.... but it is incredibly Fast

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Gigabyte BIOS Setting button is "Delete" key
After you switch on PC button just keep tapping Delete key until you get to BIOS