Cannot get my new RAM Upgrade to stop crashing

May 4, 2018
Hello, I’m having an issue with my new RAM i purchased. Right now I had 8gb of Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz RAM, I decided to buy another 8 GB(most games require 16gb nowadays) but my computer will just not stay on for more than 1 hr without crashing! Then bios loads my RAM at 1333mhz. I have set dram frequency to 9 9 9 24 and chxecked all of bios. My specs are:
Amd fx 8350
Nvidia GeForce gtx 1050
16gb Corsair Vengeance ram
Motherboard: GA-78LMT-USB 3 6.0

On the website I see it counts 1600mhz as An OC, but when I set it to anything but 1333mhz I will get crashes. I’ve tried running mem tests and everything comes back ok, I’m so frustrated and don’t know what else to do.

Solution

Sometimes it happens. The timings are indeed the same, and in theory it should work. But as you see in practice it may not work. Try to experiment a bit with timings, you may also increase voltage just a bit, maybe you can find a setting that will make it work at 1600.
Check the new RAM only at 1600 MHz, if the problem does not happen it means you are facing typical problem of sticks incompatibility. Whenever you use two sticks not bought as a kit (even if they have exactly same specs) there is a chance they will refuse to work together, especially at higher speeds. You can try to manually relax timings or increase voltage, this may help - but chance is, you will either have to accept running at 1333 or change the sticks (preferably to a 16 Gb kit).

7664stefan

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Well, would be good to know the part numbers of the old and new RAM. Keeping my fingers crossed that the new are Vengeance as well offering the same clock speed. I guess that for some reason the new modules do only support 1333Mhz and thus your system crashes with everything above.

7664stefan

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

Well, and that's exactly it. You are using 3 modules which often is not supported by the MB manufacturers. You would need to read through your MB manual to figure out of your GA board support this. I guess no.
Return the 8GB stick and get 2 equal 4 GB sticks instead and the troubles will be over. ;)

May 4, 2018
I got this error when starting it in 10 10 10 27. "The system experienced boot failures because of overclocking" "Last settings in bios setup may not coincide with current H/W states"
Current CPU speed: 20.0 x 200mhz
Current Memory Speed: 1333Mhz
Current HT speed : 2200Mhz
I dont understand what this means but maybe you guys can point me in the right direction

That means the RAM (either old or new) did not want to work with those settings. Unfortunately it is hard to say which numbers will work and which will not, it usually takes a bit of experimentation. Take a look into CPU-Z RAM tabs and see in JEDEC profiles what timings your sticks support, that may help.

7664stefan

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Then user manual to what I have seen does not explain how the memory banks can be equipped. Thus from where do you know that combining 2x4 + 1x8 is supported?
The QVL only confirms the modules looking at its single capacity, but not a combination of different modules.
Just from my experience this usually causes issues and I stay with my recommendation to go for 4x4 GB.

7664stefan

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
With this setup surely dual-channel-support is no longer possible. This might cause some of the troubles. Thus you either cope with the speed limitation or - what I suggest one more time - replace the 1x8 by 2x4.

Sometimes it happens. The timings are indeed the same, and in theory it should work. But as you see in practice it may not work. Try to experiment a bit with timings, you may also increase voltage just a bit, maybe you can find a setting that will make it work at 1600.

Solution