Cannot get past SP1 - alternative solution needed

Jul 14, 2018
Hi there everyone,

I've searched the forum but have only found solutions that I have already tried. I do apologise if this has been answered elsewhere.

I recently had to freshly install Windows 7 on my PC. I would desperately like to update beyond SP1 so that certain programs and hardware work correctly. Everytime I search for a solution I basically get this: https://www.howtogeek.com/255435/how-to-update-windows-7-all-at-once-with-microsofts-convenience-rollup/

The issue I get with this is that when I try and install KB3020369 I get the message "this update is not applicable for your computer". I have a feeling that this exact update is somehow key for getting things going, because whenever I search for solutions in relation to that message, they all say to install that exact update.

I've also tried turning off windows update and installing kb3172605 first, but this made no difference.

I'm not sure what I've done; maybe I've installed things in the wrong order. Just wondering if anyone has any insight? I'm really eager to pull my computer out of 2011 or wherever it's stuck...

I'm running windows 7 Professional x64 bit

Jul 14, 2018

Thank you - I will give this a go and update you

UPDATE: windows update error 0x80070057 (2018-07-14-T-02_19_50P) was found with this troubleshooter but not fixed.

also 'problems installing recent updates' was not fixed. A bunch of other stuff was fixed.

Any further suggestions?