Question Cannot get RAM to work

darkparadox

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Hello,

Trying to get my RAM setup correctly, would appreciate any help.

My motherboard - https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty Z87 Killer/

I am using windows 8.1. My BIOS is the latest update. I went into Msconfig and assured that limited memory is not checked.

Trying to setup three 4GB RAM sticks. Two of which are identical and one is the odd man out. All are the same manufacture. At one point everything was working correctly (within the last year) but after reinstalling windows I've just now noticed it refuses to work.

All three RAM sticks work independently. All of the slots work. It does not matter which combination of RAM I use, however, once powered on it will only read the RAM seated in slots 2-4 (the priority that my motherboard states), or slots 1-3. If I remove the RAM and re-seat them, and enter BIOS it will read the full 12. But after I power on, and re-enter windows / bios goes back to only reading 8. My BIOS shows what is seated in each physical slot of the motherboard, and it does detect all three RAM. I've downloaded CPU-Z which tells me I do in fact have the 12GB of Ram.

Really at a loss now. driving me nuts

Last edited:

darkparadox

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
This combination worked flawlessly for months on end. What should I try in respect to compatibility testing ?

What are you normally suppose to do, if you try to upgrade you RAM down the road and the originals are no longer sold

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Other combinations you decide to make have no guarantee to be compatible together.

Adding extra memory often causes it and the existing memory to no longer be able to operate at rated specifications.

Workarounds to get extra memory working include:
Lower memory clock speed
Relax DRAM timings
Increase DRAM voltage.

Use of identical, exact match, same thing have no guarantee to be compatible together. Such combinations may raise the odds of the memory working together over the use of random modules.

darkparadox

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Tested out various DRAM voltage settings, did not make a difference unfortunately.

Bit confused about the DRAM timing.

Would purchasing a fourth piece of ram and filling all slots possibly help to resolve the issue ? Seems odd that any combination of two ram sticks, in any two slots works... but adding a third does not show up in windows ?

At my wits end

As Calvin already stated, if you dont have MATCHED RAM all purchased together, you have NO GUARANTEE that it will work. If you have 3, or 4 different sticks, you have a MUCH less chance of it working.

The best advice would be to get all 4 new sticks of RAM that are matched together from the manufacturer.

Your motherboard may be set to running DUAL CHANNEL mode. For that, you need 2 or 4 sticks.

darkparadox

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Got it. Throw out all current RAM. Purchase four brand new pieces of RAM. Stop trying to trouble shoot current issue. Stop asking questions. Got it. Thanks.

The combination of RAM seems to have zero impact. It does not matter which RAM is used in conjunction. It will only detect two at a time.

The two identical pieces, plus the third odd man out worked for about 8 or so months until an OS reinstall. I can use a combination of any two RAM, irregardless of weather or not they are MATCHED, and it will work. This is why I'm confused. Time for a new PC build anyways lol