Question Cannot get rid of firewall network protection popup

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
As I already reported it here https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...cmdrun-exe-permanently.3546445/#post-22211441 - I am unable to get rid of an occasional pup-up from Windows 10 telling me, that both my Windows Firewall and COMODO are disabled - while in a mater of fact COMODO is running constantly [as its various pop-ups attest]. Yes: I turned it off and every piece of Windows defenses and use the free COMODO - but I still get [false] warnings of being defenseless

So I went to the Task Scheduler, but in Windows Defender folder found nothing [while at the same time other various tasks are present all over the place and configurable]

I also run as Administrator the Task Manager and closed the only Windows Defender process that I could find. And only then, assuming that everything is stopped / not working, went to

msconfig > Boot > Services >

and unchecked all that I could find by name which was

Microsoft Defender Antivirus Service
Microsoft Defender Network Inspection Service
Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection Service
Windows Defender Firewall

But when I clicked the Apply button - those 4 services went back to being checked

Ans so no matter what I do I cannot get rid of that one last Windows 10 pop-up telling me falsely that COMODO is not running

[And yes- of course turning COMODO on and off do not make the operating system notice that it is really turned on]

I am running Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 19042.746 with Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0 - from a fresh install done two weeks ago

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
They are telling me that it is COMODO that is doing the problem; ignoring the fact that it somehow did not do that for months on previous install of Windows 10- for which I stopped doing updates because more and more stuff was breaking on that system

Now I have a clean install and most problems are gone- but of course there are new ones

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
That is the kind of answer one would expect from tech support

If I was doing a clean install after each problem then I would be ina constant loop of installing, choosing settings, upgrading, isntalling, choosing settings, upgrading...

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
I am the IT department for my computer

And I do not see a point of installing Windows and COMODO once more if it was the very first piece of software that I have installed on my Windows - even before any drivers

I can wait either wait for months for this to go away - with some Windows and / or COMODO update. Or actively try get to the root of the problem

My experience tells me that it is the fault of this piece-of-ssss operating system that I was forced to use after having good enough experience of using Widnows 7

rgd1101

Don't
so you got windows enterprise just for fun? could spend a few $ and buy comodo and get paid support.

unless you still using hdd. if this is the only app you instead. it take like 5-10 min to do a fresh install.
or just do reset and try comodo again

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
And which magical button do I press in order to install all of that pieces of software that I have been installing for the last 2 weeks, adding its setting from profiles, configuring what could not be imported, checking if if they really work?

Will this button also tweak my Windows and clean up the mess that some installment processes created?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Seems like you are operating under the assumption that Comodo is a stand alone product. Have you considered that maybe it's not and part of its operations involve just reporting/diagnosing what is used/caught by Windows Defender? Even Norton/Symantec products rely on the native instructions used through Windows. Anti-virus is one thing, Anti-Malware is totally seperate, and for total defense you need both, and that includes other defenses of stuff like malicious software instructions detection that are built into windows, so do not need repeating by additional software.

To get rid of the Disabled pop-ups, just enable everything, it's not going to hurt. Reliance on a single software to the exclusion of others is a fools game.

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
Seems like you are operating under the assumption that Comodo is a stand alone product. Have you considered that maybe it's not and part of its operations involve just reporting/diagnosing what is used/caught by Windows Defender? Even Norton/Symantec products rely on the native instructions used through Windows. Anti-virus is one thing, Anti-Malware is totally seperate, and for total defense you need both, and that includes other defenses of stuff like malicious software instructions detection that are built into windows
[...]

I never even suspected that as I never though of that

I wrote to COMODO about this problem of mine - will see what will they say

For now my Windows says that everything is A-OK and no actions are needed; that I have all the elements of protection. A back then this was also true [all green and stuff]. But of course there is a possibility that you are correct in your theory - and even that my system is now infected with something that makes the Windows lie to me about being safe. And that would be even consisted with the fact that lately I see much less of this pup-up window [although it might be appearing when I go to toilet or something]

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
COMODO staff said they will take the inquiry-and they took it. And did not do anything else for now

As for tampering with OS settings- by mistake I turned on Windows Defender and know all options for turning it off are gone [that is till the time I will restore the system from an image]

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Honestly sounds like Comodo is cheating. Of a sort. You have native protection for pop-ups and adware from your browser, native protection for malicious code from Microsoft directly, native firewall and virus through Defender in Windows, you really are protected well at a basic level. But it sounds like Comodo wrote a 'One Ring to Rule them All' program, and uses the code and protections already native in several different places and ties them all together in one place.

So if you turn off Defender, you lose the firewall, turn off the browser pop-up stuff, you'll get the pushes etc.

As to the odd firewall pop-ups you still get, the internet uses port 80, but other programs use different ports for various reasons. If there's a glitch or badly written set of commands and one of those ports remains open, when Comodo/Defender does its every couple of minutes sweep, and licks up on an open/unused port, you'll get that message. Defender will close the port, but Comodo will still insist on letting you know about it, thereby justifying your use of Comodo with a 'look, see what I found!' notification.

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
Honestly sounds like Comodo is cheating.
[...]
As to the odd firewall pop-ups you still get, the internet uses port 80, but other programs use different ports for various reasons. If there's a glitch or badly written set of commands and one of those ports remains open, when Comodo/Defender does its every couple of minutes sweep, and licks up on an open/unused port, you'll get that message. Defender will close the port, but Comodo will still insist on letting you know about it, thereby justifying your use of Comodo with a 'look, see what I found!' notification.
This is very interesting

But it is the other way around- Windows 10 is showing up pop-ups that I have zero protection when I do have it from COMODO

Is this is your personal pc, dump commodore. Windows defender is pretty capable these days and seems to stay out of the way mostly.
I do not trust what Microsoft says to the public or what my personal versions of Windows say to me . Just two recent examples:

They said that Windows 10 is gonna be the final release of the OS- and yet here we are waiting for full release of Windows 11

My Windows 10 says to me that I do not have HDR capable hardware - and yet [long story short] I spent half a year talking to customer services of manufacturers of my monitors and of graphic card and spent money for useless hardware checkups to come only to an empirical conclusion, that I do have HDR in games

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
Well, I finally got an answer from the COMODO team:

We understood this problem. This is a known issue in which security center doesn't immediately recognize CIS.

Sometimes a simple restart or changing the hips mode/firewall mode can fix it. We have reported this issue to our developers and they are working on it, soon we will find a permanent solution for this issue. Please do not bother about this false alert as CIS itself reports no problems, it will be fine.

More about this issue: https://forums.comodo.com/firewall-help-cis/cis-firewall-questions-t123830.0.html